Scratch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny69

Aquarium Advice Freak
Whilst making up some water for my Malawi tank someone else in the house (shall remain nameless so I don't get sent to the dog house decided to move the rocks around. All good until I topped up the tank and turned the lights back on, argh an 7 inch scratch right where I just don't want one!!!! Devastated big time. Anyone used cerium oxide glass polish to remove scratches before? I know there ain't no other way to polish glass. Thankfully it is only a very light scratch as in I can't feel it with my finger hence it's a perfect candidate for a little glass polishing.... Thoughts? Thanks

Kenny,
Empty the tank, build a vaseline barrier so compound can't get to the tank seams (it might get into silcone seal a bit), polish away. I would reckon you will need to be ultra-fussy cleaning the residue away. The vaseline barrier will hopefully limit the residue spread. Not sure if it would do any harm, but wouldn't want to take the chance.

AquaOne said:
Kenny,
Empty the tank, build a vaseline barrier so compound can't get to the tank seams (it might get into silcone seal a bit), polish away. I would reckon you will need to be ultra-fussy cleaning the residue away. The vaseline barrier will hopefully limit the residue spread. Not sure if it would do any harm, but wouldn't want to take the chance.

Thanks forth advice. How toxic is this stuff? I have seen pics and read an article about a guy who did it with fish in, covered the water in cling wrap first. Took aboutcan hour with a drill and polishing pad to do the job......

Don't know about 'toxic levels', but wouldn't chance anything in the tank-water. It might even be harmless, but still not worth chancing it.

Back
Top Bottom