scum on water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beglely

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just got back from the lake this weekend and looking at my tank i found it has developed a thin scum/debris layer on the top of the tank. The tank has a small current in it but certain areas of the tank have a still surface. Any thoughts on how to clean it off? I have the spraybar on the output to my canister filter facing up to create some agitation on the surface but would removing the spray bar generate enough current to rid me of this stagnant surface?

I set typing paper or blank computer paper flat on the surface and then slowly peel it up and it will remove the bulk of whatever is floating. Of course you will want to make sure the surface is quiet first.

More importantly you should try to figure out what is causing the scum debris layer on the surface and fix it. I know some prepared fish foods release oils into the water and it builds up and floats on the surface and dust and whatnot clings to it.

Try to find a way to disrupt the surface without causing too much disturbance for your fish.

And if you are using flakes and you see oil coming off of them then change brands.

Bill

well im actually in the middle of a cycle so no fish or food in there but its a freshly planted tank so im guessing thats the cause of it

I have the same problem on both FW and SW systems, only new setups. I used a paper towel to push it to one end of the tank and roll the towel up to pull off the film.

k thanks ill try both methods and hope it cleans up...i just noticed it when i was taking water samples and my test tubes were catching debris and much sitting at the top of the water

I had this early on. I took it out with the partial water change by holding an empty bottle at the surface and skimming it off.

Back
Top Bottom