SE Asian Swamp Biotope 10 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smilla4

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm currently reading "Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants" and "Aquarium Designs Inspired By Nature" by Peter Hiscock.

So now I have it in my head that I would like to do a SE Asian Swamp Biotope, in a ten gallon tank.

I haven't gotten it all figured out clearly yet. But I'm thinking the following:

substrate:
thin layer of peat on bottom
inert layer of gravel on top

fish:
if partitioned - each side contains:
1 male betta
1 ghost shrimp
then I guess for algae eaters I could allow a pair of otos or a non-plant eating apple snail move between sides, or make it easy and use pond snails...

or if not partitioned:
1 male betta
3 harlequin rasboras (or cherry barbs?)
2 otos / snail(s)
1 ghost shrimp

hood: incandescent hood w/screw in fluorescent bulbs

filtration: AC 100 - the smallest aquaclear, or 2 azoo palm filters
I will probably have to modify the AC somehow to lower the current level... I guess I also have to be careful about surface agitation w/the co2.

temp: 77 deg set by heater

co2: nutrafin co2 device

plants: here's where I'm stuck. It seems that a lot of plants will outgrow this size tank... I'm still figuring this part out...

currently I have some plants from another tank/bucket available for use, but am not sure...
1 c. balansae
a few crypts with brown leaves that I was told was lutea, but that may be wrong
one I think is hornwort
one may be ludwigia repens?
one may be rotala?

Interesting concept....

I'd use the Cryptocoryne in that tank....maybe even leave a little air space at the top so they can go slightly emergent. You'd be 'cheating' if you use Otocinclus as your algae eater...being that they're South American. You might be able to get away with 'Amano' Shrimp if you can find some with decent size. The Rasboras would look great in that tank, with or without the Betta. One thing you could consider would be to drop the Betta and try to find some 'Croaking' or 'Sparkling' Gouramis. They'd also do very nicely with the Rasboras.

Keep us informed!! Sounds like FUN!

Back
Top Bottom