Sea salt versus marine salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nirbhao

Aquarium Advice Addict
Let me preface this by saying that water changes for a 1 gallon bowl are a pain in the neck!

I'm seriously considering converting my 10 gallon tank to brackish. It currently houses guppies and nerites. I've been doing a lot of research, but one thing I can't figure out is the difference between sea salt (ingredients: sea salt) and marine salt. I mean, the price is different, but what else?

I'm not talking about aquarium salt. Google has a lot of information about the difference between aquarium salt and marine salt. That's not my question.

Here's the backstory-
I had four nerites in my 29 gallon tank, but when I added blue rams, I moved them to the 10 gallon where the temperature was cooler. I know that there's not going to be enough naturally occurring algae in a tank that size, so I decided to supplement. I set up a 1 gallon bowl with rocks and seeded with a bit of green algae and set it in the sun. After a few days, I moved a couple of rocks to the aquarium. The snails started laying eggs everywhere! I thought it would be fantastic to try to hatch a few, but, since it was just an experiment, I didn't want to spend too much money. I got a 24 ounce bottle of straight sea salt from the cooking aisle and a hydrometer, dosed it up, and then let it go.

The first water change was annoying. The second, which I just did now, ugh. No more. I actually find water changes on the bigger tanks very satisfying, especially watching that detritus that wasn't really visible move through the tube away from my critters. I'm always amazed at how much junk I remove.

So what if I tried to hatch the nerite eggs in the 10 gallon? There's no metal in the tank. There's one plant I would have to move, but that's not hard. I've got the hydrometer.

Can I use the sea salt I have?

I thought this would be simple but I'm not so sure now. Sea salt I've always thought as mainly NaCl but the minor / trace elements would depend on where it was harvested from.

Marine salt I've always thought of as specifically harvested to match what is needed for aquarium marine life.

Where I got stuck was if the difference was actually all that much. As I don't keep a saltwater tank I've never looked into this. I do have salt for treatment but this was just bought through the fish store (expensive but I rarely use it).

I think I'm just going to keep things freshwater. I did add some sea salt with the last water change, but not much. The hydrometer situation is a lot more complicated than I have the energy for right now.

Table Salt is NaCl (Sodium Chloride) Both Marine Salt at the pet store and "Sea Salt" from the grocery store have many other salts. All the same ones. The main difference is that the Marine Salt may have certain important elements like Magnesium boosted where as Sea Salt may be iodized which might harm livestock. It probably also has some kind of starch coating to keep it from sticking. I would not risk trying to use sea salt even though I am sure it is way cheaper.

I was very careful to get something with no anti caking agents or iodine. Still, I agree (now) that marine salt is worth using.

I was very careful to get something with no anti caking agents or iodine. Still, I agree (now) that marine salt is worth using.

Interesting. If it was a synthetic salt (Made by a receipt) It might not be right for corals but may be OK for fish.If it was from a real ocean then It would be fine for both in theory. I guess in reality it just makes me nervous there might be some kind of difference I am not aware of. Maybe just marketing but seems risky. Although...I bet it is what was used before there was any over the counter marine salt.

Rather than speculate, here's what it is:

1477976664364.jpg1477976670324.jpg1477976676558.jpg

It's funny to me that the stuff with yellow prussiate was more expensive. This bottle was seriously about $1.50. It was on the bottom shelf.

I used it in a frosting, and it was amazing.

Rather than speculate, here's what it is:

View attachment 290485View attachment 290486View attachment 290487

It's funny to me that the stuff with yellow prussiate was more expensive. This bottle was seriously about $1.50. It was on the bottom shelf.

I used it in a frosting, and it was amazing.

I use sea salt vs table salt for all food I make now. Much better for you because it has all the electrolytes instead of just sodium and chloride which we eat way too much of.
I am getting off topic now :D Unwatching /Poof/

Back
Top Bottom