Seacham stabillity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cronus

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm not one to rush things especially when setting up a new tank but curiosity usually gets the better of me so I thought I'd ask... I was reading the label on the seachem stability and only just noticed that they have written on there that in the first week of using this that it was okay to start adding your fish so long as you continue to add daily dosage...

Not that I would put it the test but curiously, has anyone done this before, put their fish in within that first week while using stability? If you have, how did it go??

I tested it a couple of times a few years ago and had fairly inconclusive results. From what I gathered (at the time), bottled bacteria species either need to be kept refrigerated OR they have a limited shelf life (expiration date on the bottle). Likewise being rather sensitive they can't survive extreme temperatures both high and low.

As to whether it will cycle a tank, i.e. process nitrogenous waste, it might. But my personal conclusion is that even if it does, it's not doing it with the same type of aerobic nitrifiers found naturally in our tanks.

I have had good experience using stability to restart after mini-cycles and with seeded media. I never used it when starting a cycle from 0

As said before these products rarely work because the bacteria most of the time doesn't survive. I wouldn't waste your money on it.

stability is formulated differently than most of the other bacteria-in-a-bottle products. this is a Q/A from their website:

Q: Bio-spira has to remain refrigerated in order for the bacteria to survive. Why does Stability not need refrigeration? If there's living bacteria in the solution, how do they stay alive for so long? Or is there something else besides bacteria in the product altogether?

A: The bacteria in Stability are alive but not active. They exist in a spore form. They can withstand extreme temperatures and do not require food to survive. When you add them to your aquarium they become active due to dilution. The bacterias that require refrigeration are active. Refrigerating them slows down their life cycle and they require less food when cold. Because they are active they do require food, and that is packaged with them. They also will not survive extreme heat or cold and will die when they run out of food.

Here is what the manufacturer says about their product:

Seachem. Stability

As I understand it, the nitrifiers found in aquaria do not have a spore form. Here's a snippet from
http://www.bioconlabs.com/nitribactfacts.html
None of the Nitrobacteraceae are able to form spores. They have a complex cytomembrane (cell wall) that is surrounded by a slime matrix. All species have limited tolerance ranges and are individually sensitive to pH, dissolved oxygen levels, salt, temperature, and inhibitory chemicals. Unlike species of heterotrophic bacteria, they cannot survive any drying process without killing the organism. In water, they can survive short periods of adverse conditions by utilizing stored materials within the cell. When these materials are depleted, the bacteria die.

As I understand it, the nitrifiers found in aquaria do not have a spore form. Here's a snippet from
Nitrifying Bacteria Facts

None of the Nitrobacteraceae are able to form spores. They have a complex cytomembrane (cell wall) that is surrounded by a slime matrix. All species have limited tolerance ranges and are individually sensitive to pH, dissolved oxygen levels, salt, temperature, and inhibitory chemicals. Unlike species of heterotrophic bacteria, they cannot survive any drying process without killing the organism. In water, they can survive short periods of adverse conditions by utilizing stored materials within the cell. When these materials are depleted, the bacteria die.

Thanks. I noticed when I read that that she said "spore form" and that its a bacterium, not fungi, therefore does not sporulate. I'm sure seachem could be pushed for clarification, but I'm assuming she was using a laymans term for a propietary preservation process.

I know that I've used it and have seen a difference in rebound time from mini-cycles, as well as instant cycling a tank with a small amount of seeded bacteria vs. the same process, but not using it. Whether this can be attributed to the stability or not I can not be 100% sure, but if I can get some on sale for $7, its done me good in the past, and I find that worth the money.

Seachem Stability Question

I'm not one to rush things especially when setting up a new tank but curiosity usually gets the better of me so I thought I'd ask... I was reading the label on the seachem stability and only just noticed that they have written on there that in the first week of using this that it was okay to start adding your fish so long as you continue to add daily dosage...

Not that I would put it the test but curiously, has anyone done this before, put their fish in within that first week while using stability? If you have, how did it go??

Hello Cron...

I cycled a 20 gallon tank by emersing a large Chinese evergreen in the tank water and used a few Fancy Guppies and "Stability". I set up the tank with a heater and filter, added a capful of "Stability", put in the plant and a few fish and plugged everything in and started the cycling process. I added a capful of Stability every day for a week and the tank cycled in 7 days.

After the first week, I added a couple of fish every few days and the plant kept the water pure for the fish during the day and the bacteria provided by the Stability kept the ammonia and nitrites out of the water at night, when the plant slowed it's filtering process. That was 3 months ago and the tank has 20 Guppies in it and the water chemistry is stable. Didn't lose a fish. It can be done.

B

I cycled a ten gallon with stability. I had twelve tetras in it on the first day. And never lost any. That was with a ten percent water change once a week. I know now that it wasn't a good idea but I still have over half the fish.

Hello Cron...

I cycled a 20 gallon tank by emersing a large Chinese evergreen in the tank water and used a few Fancy Guppies and "Stability". I set up the tank with a heater and filter, added a capful of "Stability", put in the plant and a few fish and plugged everything in and started the cycling process. I added a capful of Stability every day for a week and the tank cycled in 7 days.

After the first week, I added a couple of fish every few days and the plant kept the water pure for the fish during the day and the bacteria provided by the Stability kept the ammonia and nitrites out of the water at night, when the plant slowed it's filtering process. That was 3 months ago and the tank has 20 Guppies in it and the water chemistry is stable. Didn't lose a fish. It can be done.

B

Cheers B,

I'm setting up a 115 gallon and been only 4 days so far but I have been using ceramic rings from my other tanks filter to help speed up the cycling process while using stability. Moving my Oscar and sevrums from their current 75 gallon so the can get some room.

Here's the set up so far.. Still got a couple of gold vine driftwood to put in just soaking them to let the tannins out.

image-67285119.jpg

I used the Stability when I started my 45 long. My filter is a penguin biowheel 350 and I had a very mature filter PAD (not wheel) and 1 fresh pad. I got 10 rummy nose Tetra and 6 danios and they all lived through it. I dosed stability for 2 weeks. Then I slowly added in cories shrimp and other stuff.

Your Tank

Hello again Cron...

Very nice! I especially like larger tanks. There's so much more room to work and the possibilities are just about endless. Driftwood is a great addition, very natural looking. The tannic acid will lower the water's pH a bit and the turn the tank water a slight amber color. But, with a tank as large as yours, the impact will be very minimal and temporary. I'd be too anxious to get the tank set up to worry about the tannins issue.

Keep us informed. I'm always interested in what others are doing with their tanks!

B

Hello again Cron...

Very nice! I especially like larger tanks. There's so much more room to work and the possibilities are just about endless. Driftwood is a great addition, very natural looking. The tannic acid will lower the water's pH a bit and the turn the tank water a slight amber color. But, with a tank as large as yours, the impact will be very minimal and temporary. I'd be too anxious to get the tank set up to worry about the tannins issue.

Keep us informed. I'm always interested in what others are doing with their tanks!

B

So I waited just after a week before putting in my rainbow shark first, waited a couple of days then put in my gold spot pleco in, waited a couple more days and added in day by day 1 severum until all three were in, waited a couple more days and put my Oscar in. Doing 20% water changes 3 to 4 days and all water levels looking good ?
image-4181536349.jpg

So I waited just after a week before putting in my rainbow shark first, waited a couple of days then put in my gold spot pleco in, waited a couple more days and added in day by day 1 severum until all three were in, waited a couple more days and put my Oscar in. Doing 20% water changes 3 to 4 days and all water levels looking good ?de04

I like it. I would add some anubias on the wood and some more tall amazon swords in the back.

I like it. I would add some anubias on the wood and some more tall amazon swords in the back.

Cheers thanks

My local store only seems to sell anubias already attached to the driftwood so will source online I think but still have a couple of local stores I can still check out. The amazon swords I do like but the three I have in there now seems to get nibbled on by the severums.. I'm just surprised my Oscar hasn't up rooted them.....yet...

I've used Stability for a lot of tanks and find it works better than most other products. However I usually continue to dose for longer than is stated on the bottle and have never put in fish as large as you have during the process, this will be a really good test for the product due to the amount of waste being produced by your guys. If you could keep posting updates I would be appreciative.

I've used Stability for a lot of tanks and find it works better than most other products. However I usually continue to dose for longer than is stated on the bottle and have never put in fish as large as you have during the process, this will be a really good test for the product due to the amount of waste being produced by your guys. If you could keep posting updates I would be appreciative.

I have only just minimized usage of stability this week and still using prime in my water changes. I added a couple of extra bags of matrix in the sump of my running tank while I was putting this one together and used that matrix when started this one up so it would get a 'leg up' while cycling. Fish aren't stressing and they seem to have a healthy appetite. Fish colors definitely much better than when they were in the 75g, Water parameters all holding steady so fingers crossed all will still be good. Will keep posting ?

Back
Top Bottom