seachem acid buffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bussardnr

Aquarium Advice Activist
just got some of this since i couldnt find any ro water around here. can anyone tell me about it? how do i do water changes now? i dont want huge ph swings. my tap is 8.0 and i want around 6.8

Using acid buffers is not typically recommended. The reason for that being that they typically will cause for a PH shift sooner or later, and using them in conjuction with weekly water changes is very difficult. First, what type of fish/plants are you trying to keep. Many fish can, especially those raised or born in an aquarium can adjust to an extremely wide range of ph values.

Maybe you have heard of the Discus spawning in ph 7.5 water, or the African Cichlid striving at ph 6.5 . The trick with ph is not really in initial number, when acclimation is done properly the fish can adjust to whatever the ph value of your water is. The trick here is keeping that number consistant, and consitancy is what acid buffers lack.

Your PH of 8.0 does not really rule out any freshwater fish, and only a small selection of plants. If I were you I would either find out what fish/plants can best be kept at your ph and stick with those, or look for a good source of lower ph water.

im getting some wild and F1 SA cichlids. I have no way of getting better water so i bought it as a last resort.

Back
Top Bottom