Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2015, 04:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Seachem Ammonia Alert vs API test kit

My ammonia drops have ran out in my API liquid test kit. I've been considering buying Seachem's Ammonia Alert (Seachem Ammonia Alert: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies) as obviously it's easier to just glance at a meter than test the water over and over. Has anyone used it? Has anyone compared it to API readings? Is it accurate?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 12-29-2015, 04:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ive read into those. All bad reviews

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

Old 12-29-2015, 04:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

It may be off by 2ppm or more, which is too much for me to consider spending money on. Ten dollars for that vs seven for the more accurate API ammonia kit. Doesn't make sense to spend more money for less accurate results.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Seachem Ammonia Alert vs API test kit

Ammonia alerts measure toxic free ammonia rather than TAN. They are a good visual for tanks that are expecting ammonia spikes and should be used in conjunction with the API test kit in my opinion.

When I did my fish in cycle I used one of these. I tested for ammonia every now and then. Ammonia alert stayed in the safe zone and API never went above 0.25. I have nothing bad to say about the ammonia alert other than be aware that they are not measuring total ammonia. This may be one of the reasons people report such large discrepancies if they do not understand how it differs.

Edit: and that wasn't a swipe at you Laeris

Old 12-29-2015, 05:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
Ammonia alerts measure toxic free ammonia rather than TAN. They are a good visual for tanks that are expecting ammonia spikes and should be used in conjunction with the API test kit in my opinion.

When I did my fish in cycle I used one of these. I tested for ammonia every now and then. Ammonia alert stayed in the safe zone and API never went above 0.25. I have nothing bad to say about the ammonia alert other than be aware that they are not measuring total ammonia. This may be one of the reasons people report such large discrepancies if they do not understand how it differs.

Edit: and that wasn't a swipe at you Laeris

No worries! <3

Tags
alert, ammonia, api, sea, seachem, test, test kit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com