seachem denitrate ? Anyone use it before ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candymancan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I bought 2 bottles of this stuff.. It says to put it in a pump or something no less then 50gph... Well im not sure how many gph my hang on back filters are but I put them on the very lowest setting by twisting the valve up top and I put the rocks inside my floss filters..

I was wondering if this is the correct way to use these dentrate rocks and if not could someone who has used this stuff fill me in ?

Its a really old tetra filter I forgot the name I have to look at the bottom of the pump motor.. but it puts out 100gph when I looked it up, but that's a full speed I can cut that in half by flipping the knob up top.. Unlike all the new HOB filters the old ones you can adjust the flow

That's the one I have its the 10-20g one its like 15 years old

http://www.petmountain.com/product/...-105545/tetra-tetra-whisper-power-filter.html

Its a really old tetra filter I forgot the name I have to look at the bottom of the pump motor.. but it puts out 100gph when I looked it up, but that's a full speed I can cut that in half by flipping the knob up top.. Unlike all the new HOB filters the old ones you can adjust the flow

That's the one I have its the 10-20g one its like 15 years old

Tetra Tetra Whisper Power Filter Aquarium Power Filters
The new tetra's, Fluvals and AC's all have adjustable flow? I got acouple whisper 30-60's with my tank when I bought it.

I think they are just saying the more flow the better, I would just run the filter on full if it doesn't over flow like that style tends to do. What size tank is it on? I would suggest a better filter... AC or Fluval C, or add a small canister, they have trays to ut all sorts of stuff like this in, you could have purigen, anti-phosphate and de-nitrate all in one tray. Putting them in the bag should work other wise your only choice really is to throw them in a bag and put it in the water behind the filter and let it sit there, should work fine either way, again as long as it doesn't overflow.

Sorry to say, but the de nitrate is a rip off. It's literally just chunks of pumice.

It works, but ONLY if there's a low flow going through it. The bigger the container and the more media, the better. You have to create anaerobic (oxygen free) areas in the stone for it to work otherwise it will just act as expensive standard filter media. I would suggest a DIY canister out of a 5g bucket with a low flow pump attached.

In a standard filter, it's just too aerated for it to function properly.

Sorry to say, but the de nitrate is a rip off. It's literally just chunks of pumice.

It works, but ONLY if there's a low flow going through it. The bigger the container and the more media, the better. You have to create anaerobic (oxygen free) areas in the stone for it to work otherwise it will just act as expensive standard filter media. I would suggest a DIY canister out of a 5g bucket with a low flow pump attached.

In a standard filter, it's just too aerated for it to function properly.
Huh.... What about the cobalt stuff, seems way different, more like purigen and it works too

It seems to be a new product and I can't really find any information on it at all. That being said, with the miniscule amount of information they give on it along with the relatively new nature of it, I would be skeptical about using it but it might be worth a try.

They give absolutely no indication of how long the resin lasts and it can't be recharged. It's probable that a bag of it would last a month at the most. That's $30 a month for nitrate removal resin in a 55g tank. It's a lot cheaper to increase water changes and (assuming the source water has nitrates) cut the source water with reverse osmosis water.

kent marine also makes some

I think the regular ammonia absorber stuff is probably better.

Back
Top Bottom