Seachem matrix? How well does it work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My thought would that I suspect your flow rate will be too much and you won't get the anaerobic conditions needed for de-nitritfying bacteria.

Someone a while back came on here claiming they had a new lfs with lots of tanks and they all had a big cannister loaded with nothing but seachem matrix, these tanks got a monthly wc and never registered high nitrates. The claim was in fact that a ton of matrix would eventually remove nitrates. I have a whole tray in my cannister loaded with matrix. I still get nitrates, i don't know enough about the process but I guess it can work. It is a good biomedia anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The pluses to Matrix is that it can help keep nitrates in check under the right conditions; it is a good media for beneficial bacteria; it is convenient to obtain and known to be aquarium safe; it never needs replacement.

The minus is that it is overpriced pumice.

It is not a substitute for water changes and proper stocking.

I use it in my 29 gallon tank with a Fluval 206 filter. For me, being able to buy just the small amount I need for one tank was a good thing. (it is not recommended for an HOB, though you can use it -- my QT has an HOB so I'm not using it there)

Back
Top Bottom