Seachem Prime Dosage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psylk87

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just recently bought some Seachem Prime thansk to the recs here for it. Does anyone have any idea how much Seachem Prime I should use for my 10 gallon and 5.5 gallon tanks? The dosage on the bottle is pretty high.

I normally fill a 5 gallon bucket for water changes(then divide that between the two tanks) so I am triyng to figure out how much I need to add to treat that.

Thanks guys!

ok I would try and just put enough to fill about 1/4 of the cap for 5gal bucket IMO that will be ok and not hurt anything

I just use a few drops per gallon container that I use to fill my tanks, so 1/4 of a cap sounds about right. Its usually a safe product when used concentrated. I've never had a problem with my inaccurate method.

The dosage is 1ml for every 10 gallons. Each thread on the cap is approximately 1ml according to their instructions. I'd go safe rather than sorry and just do 1ml for every 5g bucket. A pipette might be easier than trying to pout in to the cap FWIW

go by CVS or walgreens or your local pharmacy and ask for a 1ml and a 5ml oral syringe for medicine. The pharmacist will give you them for free. Tell him its for medicine for your baby (or grandbaby or baby brother - whatever is appropriate) if asked. I've never been asked. They might not want to give them out for your fish tank.

Anyway, 1ml/10gal or 2 drops per gallon.

Awesome thanks guys I really appreciate it!

Can you even overdose on this? I mean withen reason, obviously if you dumped the whole bottle in that probably wouldn't be good. But if you dose for 20g when you change out 5 g that would be okay wouldn't it? I thought when doing water changes you dose for the total amount of the tank anyway? Have I been overdosing my fish?

Can you even overdose on this? I mean withen reason, obviously if you dumped the whole bottle in that probably wouldn't be good. But if you dose for 20g when you change out 5 g that would be okay wouldn't it? I thought when doing water changes you dose for the total amount of the tank anyway? Have I been overdosing my fish?

It's difficult to overdose but as you said if you pour in a whole bottle not good. As for dosing total tank volume it depends on how you do your water change. For my 46g tank I use a water changer so I syphon out 50%+ of the water & before I add new water I dose for the total tank volume then add the new water which comes directly from the tap into the tank. Some people will dose again after the tank is full. On my smaller tanks I use the bucket method so I dose the new water in the bucket for the volume of water in the bucket before it goes into the tank BUT by the time I'm done sometimes I've probably dosed the total tank volume or more if one bucket isn't enough to refill to tank all of the way.

Back
Top Bottom