Seachem Purigen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kirstos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys

I have Purigen to put in my tank when it cycles but I know you have to be very careful about which water conditioner you use with it as it can render it useless or worse, toxic. The warning that comes with it states: "Regeneration: Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metalic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoons of ChlorGuard™, prime®, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water. Rinse well. Original color and full activity should now be restored and Purigen® is ready for reuse. Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul Purigen® and render regeneration difficult. Do not reuse if odor of chlorine is detectable. In case of doubt, soak beads in small quantity of water and test for residual chlorine with a chlorine test kit."

The website goes on to state: "Only certain slime coat products will cause Purigen® to become toxic; the products that do this are amine based. Prime® and Safe™ are not amine based and so will not cause this problem. If you're curious, what happens is that the amine compounds can strongly bind to the resin, then when they (the amines) come into contact with any chlorine they will form chloramines which are highly toxic. We offer a Stress Coat product, StressGuard™, which is not amine based and so can be used in conjunction with Purigen.™"

So, I have a couple of questions please:
1. As I have been using stress coat + which is amine based, how many water changes will it take to get rid of it so I can add the purigen to the filter?
2. As Prime is eye-wateringly expensive in the UK, I was going to use API Tapwater Conditioner as it is cheap and being just a basic declorinator, does not contain any amine compounds (as confirmed to me by API) - will this be OK for everyday use as well as to regenerate the purigen?

Any ones experiences with purigen would be very welcome, I just dont want to do something that will harm my fish.

Thanks
Kirsty

I use purigen in all of my non planted tanks and absolutely love it. The API water conditioner is fine to use it to regenerate the purigen. As for the stress coat I would prolly do at least 3 or 4 large water changes before putting the purigen in.

Back
Top Bottom