Seachem Purigen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Like carbon does Purigen remove medications and discoloration of tank water?

I did a little research on Purigen. I WANT SOME! It's supposed to completey remove ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and the organic compounds in the water 500 times better than hydosorb. It did say it causes super clear water. It did say that it is very limited on removing electrolytes which are pretty much metals. So if you use a medication tjat uses copper, it wont remove the copper. It wont remove sodium or iron either. But many of the chlorine removers detoxify metals anyway. I would suggest that you get some. But from whet I could tell, you have to buy the bag for it separately.
Like carbon does Purigen remove medications and discoloration of tank water?

I did a little research on Purigen. I WANT SOME! It's supposed to completey remove ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and the organic compounds in the water 500 times better than hydosorb. It did say it causes super clear water.....
But from whet I could tell, you have to buy the bag for it separately.

It does not completely remove nitrates .... but it does help reduce them. You should still do weekly water changes to keep nitrates in check [and siphoning/vacuuming of gravel if you don't have lots of plants].

You do not have to buy Purigen and the bag separately. It is also sold in 100 ml bags which is what most people use for tanks under about 75 gallons.

https://www.amazon.com/Seachem-1160...=UTF8&qid=1525791387&sr=8-7&keywords=seachems

I have two bags in each of my two tanks (29 & 38 gallon) and replace the bags at alternate intervals and yes it does help keep the water crystal clear. [I also use 50 micron polishing pads in my Fluval C series filters on both tanks so my water is uber crystal clear.]

It does not completely remove nitrates .... but it does help reduce them. You should still do weekly water changes to keep nitrates in check [and siphoning/vacuuming of gravel if you don't have lots of plants].

You do not have to buy Purigen and the bag separately. It is also sold in 100 ml bags which is what most people use for tanks under about 75 gallons.

https://www.amazon.com/Seachem-1160...=UTF8&qid=1525791387&sr=8-7&keywords=seachems

I have two bags in each of my two tanks (29 & 38 gallon) and replace the bags at alternate intervals and yes it does help keep the water crystal clear. [I also use 50 micron polishing pads in my Fluval C series filters on both tanks so my water is uber crystal clear.]
Well good. There you go. Someone who has experience with the product instead of just what I could find online. I'm glad for the sharing of a person using the product than going by what is said by the company selling the stuff. Thank you.

Hey I use purigen I'm my 200ltr bow front. The stuff is amazing I have two one for in the filter and one ready to use when it's done. The best purchase for my tank also the best EXTERNAL FILTER!! I bought 600ltr capible filter and it's amazing

Purigen does not remove ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates, but it does remove organic nitrogenous compounds that come from the decomposition of protein, like amino acids. Removing these compounds will reduce the accumulation of ammonia, nitrates, and nitrates, which is of course helpful in keeping the ammonia load down. So it’s a preventative rather than a cure, sort of. But it does keep the water crystal clear. I’ve been using it for years and love it.

Purigen does not remove ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates, but it does remove organic nitrogenous compounds that come from the decomposition of protein, like amino acids. Removing these compounds will reduce the accumulation of ammonia, nitrates, and nitrates, which is of course helpful in keeping the ammonia load down. So it’s a preventative rather than a cure, sort of. But it does keep the water crystal clear. I’ve been using it for years and love it.
I'm glad you posted the truth about Purigen. The way it's described by the manufacturer, I can imagine alot of beginners trying to use it as a means of skipping the cycling process in a new tank and then wondering why their fish are dying.

It may remove the dis coloration but I would use water changes and carbon for removing meds and then carbon and purigen together . Purigen makes no claims to removing meds that I am aware of..It is great on dissolved organics as many have mentioned.

It may remove the dis coloration but I would use water changes and carbon for removing meds and then carbon and purigen together . Purigen makes no claims to removing meds that I am aware of..It is great on dissolved organics as many have mentioned.
You are absolutely right you just can't beat water changes and using charcoal after using meds. But purigen does make you tank look better and I've also noticed these not the usual fish tank smell per say

This is great to know. I’m sold. I’m executing a self reliant tank for 12 days while we go for vacation. With 2 auto feeders running on either side of the tank, I will pick this stuff up to help ‘reduce the accumulation of ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites’ during that time. I need all the help I can get.

There are also nitrate removing media like API NitraZorb and Seachem de nitrate and ammonia removing media like API Ammochips and others from different manufacturers.

Purigen is a nice product, one of the top in a list I would want in my tanks. Really like it. Wouldn't think of it as a replacement for water changes but as an extra help.

There are more companies coming up with similar products like all of the ones mentioned, to compete.

Also as for the auto feeders, I would set them on the lower end of feeding amounts. Fish can survive easier being hungry than in a polluted with food tank while on a trip away.

There are also nitrate removing media like API NitraZorb and Seachem de nitrate and ammonia removing media like API Ammochips and others from different manufacturers.

Purigen is a nice product, one of the top in a list I would want in my tanks. Really like it. Wouldn't think of it as a replacement for water changes but as an extra help.

There are more companies coming up with similar products like all of the ones mentioned, to compete.

Also as for the auto feeders, I would set them on the lower end of feeding amounts. Fish can survive easier being hungry than in a polluted with food tank while on a trip away.

Thanks for the info. I think I’ll stay away from Ammochips because I wouldn’t want to disrupt the cycle already established with my filter media. Do you agree with my thinking? Just use a product to assist with the end result of the process, that being nitrate

:rolleyes:, well yes and no...

I can see the rationale of not limiting the ammonia so much as to not have the BB any food, then starve and possibly die.

But the nitrification process, after ammonia (and ammonium) is Nitrite which is deadly, so if there is a malfunction in the auto feeder units, and too much food is fed to the fish, the ammonia might kill them and if not that, the NitrIte and less worry of the NitrAte as many fish can adapt (depending if not sensitive type).

So I can see this is a long amount of thinking it through thouroughly.

If the tank is recently cycled maybe a bigger concern.

Hmmm...

Back
Top Bottom