seachem stability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I vouch for the 'stability' product because it has worked for me on several occasions. I'm not going to lie for the sake of a discussion.
The original post asked about the product and opinions from people that have had experience using it. I am one of those people (and there are probably many others).
I am not compensated, nor do I receive any benefits for supporting this product - so why should I pretend it didn't work, when in fact it did?

Also, Seachem 'stability' (for which this thread was for) has never claimed that it uses heterotrophs. It seems like you are just making the assumption that it does.

Perhaps for the sake of argument. We conduct a small research test in this forum. You can even use the 'fishless' cycling method to ensure complete safety of fish. Let people try stability and post their experiences.

Also, you keep mentioning that use of such products leads to an unstable biological filter.

What's not to say that such instability was caused by other factors including overstocking, overfeeding, poor maintenance and neglected water changes (I bet a large majority of members in this forum break these rules!)

If anything, such reasons would pose a bigger factor to the stability of a tank, than the use of a 'bacteria in a bottle'

Type anaerobic bacteria and facultative bacteria (what Seachem says it contains) into google and see what pops up. Those are not descriptions of autotrophic nitrifying bacteria which are what truly cycles a tank.

We're not talking about people who have added too many fish or changed media being the ones experiencing crashes...we're talking about people who have cycled their tank with some of these products, had the tank stocked with stable parameters for a significant amount of time...only for these bio-filter issues to happen suddenly.

A good friend of mine (who knows what he's doing, so no errors like overstocking, overfeeding, changing media, etc...) is an example of someone who cycled their tank (fishless) using a bacteria booster, had perfect parameters for a month and a half...then one day had an absolute toxin spike for unexplainable reasons other than the cycling product. Other than the numerous accounts on this forum, jetajockey already stated he has extensively tested these products and has already presented this thread with his findings.

We're not talking about people who have added too many fish or changed media being the ones experiencing crashes...we're talking about people who have cycled their tank with some of these products, had the tank stocked with stable parameters for a significant amount of time...only for these bio-filter issues to happen suddenly.

A good friend of mine (who knows what he's doing, so no errors like overstocking, overfeeding, changing media, etc...) is an example of someone who cycled their tank (fishless) using a bacteria booster, had perfect parameters for a month and a half...then one day had an absolute toxin spike for unexplainable reasons other than the cycling product. Other than the numerous accounts on this forum, jetajockey already stated he has extensively tested these products and has already presented this thread with his findings.

so how do you explain the 'science' behind the product successfully working for me (and countless others)?
Perhaps we just got lucky? ...:rolleyes:

Bubble_B0y said:
so how do you explain the 'science' behind the product successfully working for me (and countless others)?
Perhaps we just got lucky? ...:rolleyes:

I'd prefer to not have to go back and copy and paste all the explanations we have given on this thread explaining how heterotrophs work (it's been explained several times on this thread).

No one said a bio-filter crash is a guarantee. It's a possibility which many of us have seen examples of over and over and over and over and over.....

This thread is starting to go around in circles. Read back through the previous posts and see if anything is missing which hasn't already been stated.

Type anaerobic bacteria and facultative bacteria (what Seachem says it contains) into google and see what pops up.

Seachem 'stability' also contains AEROBIC bacteria!
Or did you choose to leave that out for sake of argument? ;)

Perhaps be a little open-minded and give credit where its due.
I'm not saying that all 'bacteria in a bottle' works, but stability worked for me.

In fact, even products that "claim" to have the "correct" bacteria (dr tims, tetra safestart, biospira) have had reports and experiences of failure. One shouldn't expect that for such stable products right? - just a thought.

eco23 said:
Type anaerobic bacteria and facultative bacteria (what Seachem says it contains) into google and see what pops up. Those are not descriptions of autotrophic nitrifying bacteria which are what truly cycles a tank.

Thats a lost of time as they use autotroph on dormant state that can stay there for a 10-12 months!! Thats how seachem explain it to me when i phone there!

Plus i used it a lot and it has work well!!

Those who dont believe dont even use it!!

Again, if someone can prove its heterotroph what do you do here!! Sue all those companie you gonna be rich!!! 100k per companie means at least 500k within a years!!!

Go, go, go!!!

Plus i have friends who use it, not only one and they have been successful!

Anyway on that type of thread, those who dont believe never use that type of product!

You should say it works but dont pay to save 2-3 week of cycling!! That would be ok!

Bubble_B0y said:
Seachem 'stability' also contains AEROBIC bacteria!
Or did you choose to leave that out for sake of argument? ;)

I'm not sure why you keep bringing up things that have already been covered in this thread for any other purpose than keeping the topic going. We've already discussed that several posts ago. Dude, go back and start reading this thread from the beginning, you're obviously skimming over things...I'm not sure there's anything you're gonna bring up that wasn't already covered by either me, jeta or jcolon.

eco23 said:
I'm not sure why you keep bringing up things that have already been covered in this thread for any other purpose than keeping the topic going. We've already discussed that several posts ago. Dude, go back and start reading this thread from the beginning, you're obviously skimming over things...I'm not sure there's anything you're gonna bring up that wasn't already covered by either me, jeta or jcolon.

Maybe you think that you, jeta or jcolon are always right (thats what your tone says!!) but you three dont use and dont like the idea of having a faster cycling time for $$$.

On those product they say bemeficial bacteria for cycling, not for sludge reducing or pollution control like nutrafin waste control...

Your explaination is that they sell a product( autotroph/aerobic bacteria) and put another (heterotroph-unaerobic) one in the bottle so do as Aquamania says and sue them. If you win i'll be in with you and i'll never get on you again on that subject!!

But as long as you just say your opinion on those product with article with no names that are in contradiction with lots o other no name article!! So whos right??

We will never be sure but as I use it an you dont i think i know more about thi than you!!

Bye

It's funny...MonsterfishGuy and Aquamania sure do seem similar. In fact, I'd be willing to bet they're the same person. I'll have to ask an admin to look into that. ;)

As far as I'm concerned...this thread has run it's course. I've provided nothing but scientific backed research and fact, while the only things I've heard from you three (probably 2) is limited experience and a link to the manufacturers website.

Since you seem so intent on arguing without validity...I'll go ahead and let you get the last word in (at this point I think that's all it's about anyway).

Im the wife of monsterfishguy and as he is to hard in here i dont want him to use my account so i made a new!! But we both use this product so i gave you my thought!

And i have my tanks and i dont take care of his!!

Im never hard with people but he's like that every where!!

Bet you prefer me!!!lol

Stability worked for me. I recommend it.
If you could spare a few bucks, it's definitely worth trying.

As for the argument that these products give a false impression that your tank is cycled.
Well, you cannot argue with test kits.
My test kits showed a consistent reading of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 20 nitrate for several weeks (after I last used the product).
By definition, this is a cycled tank!

As far as I'm concerned...this thread has run it's course. I've provided nothing but scientific backed research and fact, while the only things I've heard from you three (probably 2) is limited experience and a link to the manufacturers website.

Since you seem so intent on arguing without validity...I'll go ahead and let you get the last word in (at this point I think that's all it's about anyway).

There are some basic concerns that should raise an eyebrow when you read the fine print of these products. Example, Stability says that it can be used for FW or SW, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to know that these different mediums both utilize different bacteria species. They claim their bacterial strains can adapt to anaerobic conditions as well, unless this is the new and improved terminator t-1000 bacteria strain, I'd be concerned since that's obviously not something that autotrophic nitrifiers do. My biggest fear would be their attempt at world domination.

It's possible that seachem, nutrafin cycle, and stresszyme have updated their formulas to include the right bacteria, but when I tested them, I did not get the impression that they did. I didn't test them for any form of compensation, I did it with the intention of finding out truly what works and what doesn't, and why, for the sake of new aquarists, so I attempted to keep my opinion as unbiased as possible.

So, take it for what it's worth. @ the OP, you could technically dose a non-sustaining product until the natural biofilter builds, but there is some concern as to whether these products compete with the natural biofilter. They share the same food source, so in a way they do, and it would lead to the idea that you'd have to wean off of these products slowly to be safe. The other concern is the risk of putting the health of livestock in the hands of a bottle, when it would be better just to pick the right bacteria to begin with.

And finally, I typically advocate utilizing established filter media over any bottled product, it's by far the best method, and much cheaper on the wallet.

With that said, if someone brings some evidence to the contrary then I will address it, otherwise I'm done.

For those few that are so passionate that these products do not work, like they claim to.
Have you tried sending your 'science' to these companies and refuting their products?
It would be interesting to see how they justify their methods. I'd be willing to bet there is a science behind them too.

I just find it implausible that such companies would spend hours of painstaking research (in a time of recession mind you) to develop a product (without testing its sustainability) that is essentially (as you claim) useless.
Because that makes perfect 'scientific' sense :rolleyes:.

oh well...I guess i'm a 'sucker' for using their products. And yet, I have successfully kept fish for over 10 years - So somewhere along the line, someone must be doing something right.

I was a skeptic when it came to using these 'bacteria in a bottle' products.
But I gave it a chance.
There is no harm in using such products - only to your pocket. So you have nothing to lose.

Did it work for you ? Did you ever experience a crash? and did you keep using it during water changes?

Did it work for you ?

Yes it did work for me. Several times in fact!
I have 3 tanks in my house: a 65 gallon, 10 gallon, 30 gallon.
All of which I used the stability product to cycle the tank (it took less than 2 weeks) AND all 3 tanks I immediately added fish on day one.

The 10 gallon and 30 gallon have been running for over 3 years.
And my most recent tank, 65 gallon has been running since January 2011.
I have never experienced a crash in any of the tanks.

Did you ever experience a crash? and did you keep using it during water changes?

No, I don't continue using it during my weekly water changes.
In fact, I stopped using stability once my tank had cycled.

Now I would consider myself an experienced fishkeeper.
I am very pedantic about my weekly water changes and maintenance.
I keep all of my tanks understocked and I overfiltrate.
Now whether or not these aspects play a factor (I'm willing to say yes), is another discussion.

But to answer the original question, yes stability did work!
As to the 'science' behind that....well... At the end of the day these products claim to speed the cycle and help the biological filter - My experience is that this is true.

as one that has tried stability and has even talked to seachem reps about it and including a convention in atl thats yearly. i wouldnt suggest it. there are better products out there.

Maybe you think that you, jeta or jcolon are always right (thats what your tone says!!) but you three dont use and dont like the idea of having a faster cycling time for $$$.

On those product they say bemeficial bacteria for cycling, not for sludge reducing or pollution control like nutrafin waste control...

Your explaination is that they sell a product( autotroph/aerobic bacteria) and put another (heterotroph-unaerobic) one in the bottle so do as Aquamania says and sue them. If you win i'll be in with you and i'll never get on you again on that subject!!

But as long as you just say your opinion on those product with article with no names that are in contradiction with lots o other no name article!! So whos right??

We will never be sure but as I use it an you dont i think i know more about thi than you!!

Bye

u mad? lolz everyone calm down i mean really. who cares wanna waste your money on something packaged months ago go ahead. id rather use something with the date on which it was produced. love my seachem but this is just a product to make money on

u mad? lolz everyone calm down i mean really. who cares wanna waste your money on something packaged months ago go ahead. id rather use something with the date on which it was produced. love my seachem but this is just a product to make money on

MAD??? YEAH I'M MAD (insert argument multiple times saying the same thing over and over)

This is ridiculous, either use it or don't. I generally will try things out without asking, and if it doesn't work i know not to use it anymore. I trust jeta and eco more than most people on this site, specially because jeta does know what he is talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom