Seasoning Filter to Help New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hpiguy

Aquarium Advice Freak
How long should I leave a filter in my tank to season it with BB before I use it to help kickstart a cycle in the tank I'm setting up across town for a friend?

I have some blue filter floss set up downstream from a well seasoned filter plate inside my current filter to get it ready to transfer to a new tank, how long should I leave it in there before moving it over to their tank?

Three days? Week? Two weeks?

Thanks.

How long should I leave a filter in my tank to season it with BB before I use it to help kickstart a cycle in the tank I'm setting up across town for a friend?

I have some blue filter floss set up downstream from a well seasoned filter plate inside my current filter to get it ready to transfer to a new tank, how long should I leave it in there before moving it over to their tank?

Thanks.

As long as possible.

Yes, obviously.

OK, let's say what is the minimum time before transfer.

No answer for that. The longer you wait the more bacteria you will transfer. to a point.

R2xfsbZ.jpg

Seeding a New Tank

Thanks.

Hello hpi...

A couple of weeks should be enough. Add a small scoop of the bottom material from the established tank too. The combination should contain enough bacteria to instantly cycle the new tank. Just add fish very slowly to the new tank and test the water every day or two to make sure the bacteria you transferred is working.

B

Back
Top Bottom