Second Tank, promised my wife guppies!!! Good tank mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

@HOME

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have got my hands on a free 33 gal tank and he's even throwing in one ore more aquaclear 300 for me. I would have to get new media but he said he might even have the original hood and maybe a second tank just the same. Great News!!! Anyways, my first tank I bought tiger barbs first which limited the selection for tank mates and my wife loves the guppies. I was just wondering if anyone had some good suggestions for tank mates. I want to alot of guppies and then maybe two pr three larger fish. Want bright colors and fairly active fish so the tank will always be moving colors. Thanks for the suggestions in advance!!!

If you want guppies with tiger barbs, you *must* take at least 6 tiger barbs so that they do nip the guppies' fins. I suggest to take cherry barbs (a school of 6-10). They are colorful (very red), are generally peaceful, and go well with tiger barbs. Possibly rosy barbs also. They are active fishes.

Well, if the Guppies are your wifes and she would get upset about losing them, just keep Tiger Barbs away from that tank :) One of my friends had 8 Tiger Barbs and some Guppies in a 30g, and the Barbs slowly worked through the Guppy population over time. His wife was mortified by the frequent glimpse of a Guppies getting nipped to death by the Tigers 8O

Too inform all. The tiger barbs are already in another tank with a red-tailed shark and a dwarf frog. The new tank will most likely have 10-15 guppies depending on their tank mates, which is what I'm looking for suggestions on. Thanks again for the responses and I had to get my tiger barbs first, since I paid for it all and I'm the one who takes care of the little guys!

You can make it an all-guppy tank with cool dense planting and realistic decorations and like several types of guppy..... and some kind of peaceful tank cleaners. And some cute froggies and some of those fancy colored mystery snails (blue, gold, pink).

I have guppies mixed with platies, neons and dwarf gouramis. You can also have swordtails. All of your livebearers (guppies, platies, etc) tend to be mixed colours and very colourful. All of the tetras should go well with guppies too. I'm quite pleased with how my dwarf gouramis did in the tank. I have two females I think and want to get a male. There's an endless selection.

Just leave room for guppy fry - unless you get all one sex, you know you'll have 'em.

AJ

I like serpae tetras for color, and they are exremely active, but keep their nippiness to each other. Get a decent-sized school of at least 6 and they should do well.

Otherwise, you can go with just about any of the tetras, and a dwarf gourami would be great as well. Gotta mention a school of cory cats for the bottom, too! :wink:

We have a 35gal hex that is a Guppy Colony tank.
That is it is Guppies only, we do not bother them with such things as separating fry when born or in any way try to mess with their little social issues. It is survival of the fittest....
They do quite well and we see some fry make it all the way to adulthood and they just seem to keep getting stronger!
Try it just Guppies only... Lots of Guppies... It'll be a riot of color!

I would reccomend Platies and swordtails with the guppies they are suppose to do well together. In fact one of my in-laws has some and all her fish are doing great together. And I know for a fact that platies multiply very quickly. I have Mickey platies and several of their babies. They are a very peaceful fish.

I ended up going with two dwarf gouramis and I'm quite pleased with them. I got one "flame" and one "blue'green) Really vibrant colors. Big Als rocks for quality of fish. Oh and I will mention I got all male guppies so I didn't have to worry about the fry. Thanks to all who replied.

Back
Top Bottom