Second Try at Nano Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michael15

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 20 gallon planted tank and I've been wanting to try nano fish for awhile now. My plans for nano fish are 8 pepper corys, 8 kuhli loaches, 10 ember tetras, 10 Galaxy rasbora, 2 pit bull plecos and possible a apisto borellii or honey gourami. Now this does does sound like a lot of fish for just a 20 gallon but they are all around 1 inch long. So a little advice with my stocking would be a huge help.

You need another tank!
8 full grown C. Paleatus will overstock that tank. I know because I have a shoal of these in around 30g. With 10 tetra and a pair of plecs not much bigger than pitbulls. This tank is well stocked.

Either mid water shoal (tetra/rasbora) and a single pit bull. You may get away with some kuhli loaches?

Or you could stock up and religiously do water changes a few times each week, without fail. (But that's bad advice!)

I'd say 8 kuhli loaches, an apisto and a school of maybe 6 ember tears, or you could replace the school of tetras for a pitbull pleco. None of the are really nano fish IMO except for the galaxy rasboras. What kind of a filter do you have? This really controls what kind of fish you can have.

I do nano tanks. Nano is usually less than 10g, unless you just want nano fish not a nano tank as well. You would be better with a dwarf cory such as habrosus or pymaeus. I wouldn't do a pleco or the loaches. The will seem like giants compared to the ember tetras and Galaxy rasboras. Violet corys (similus) stay smaller also. If it were me and this is just my opinion, I'd do a big group of small corys and one group of up level dwellers. Habrosus are easy to breed but you need micro worms and insuforia for the fry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you really want loaches I'd suggest dwarf chain. I love kuhlis but I don't consider them nano fish.

Not sure about a lone apisto but the gourami is a nice centerpiece fish.

Habrosus or pygmaeus cories...small and active!

Plecs are nice but poop machines and again, not a nano fish.

The tetras and rasboras are a nice combo.

I do nano tanks. Nano is usually less than 10g, unless you just want nano fish not a nano tank as well. You would be better with a dwarf cory such as habrosus or pymaeus. I wouldn't do a pleco or the loaches. The will seem like giants compared to the ember tetras and Galaxy rasboras. Violet corys (similus) stay smaller also. If it were me and this is just my opinion, I'd do a big group of small corys and one group of up level dwellers. Habrosus are easy to breed but you need micro worms and insuforia for the fry.

Anything let's say 7-20 gallons is considered nano, less than that is getting into pico(whatever that means) and I believe the pitbull pleco is a parotocinclus species, a little beefier oto not an actual pleco.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you really want loaches I'd suggest dwarf chain. I love kuhlis but I don't consider them nano fish.

Not sure about a lone apisto but the gourami is a nice centerpiece fish.

Habrosus or pygmaeus cories...small and active!

Plecs are nice but poop machines and again, not a nano fish.

The tetras and rasboras are a nice combo.

ROSEY LOACHES!!!!!

Anything let's say 7-20 gallons is considered nano, less than that is getting into pico(whatever that means) and I believe the pitbull pleco is a parotocinclus species, a little beefier oto not an actual pleco.

Interesting. I just don't think of 20g as being nano at all. Not disputing what you wrote just seems funny to me. I've heard of Pico and I thought those were under 5g. Not like it really matters anyway. All we need to know is how many gallons not the fancy terms. Lol

Here are some of the inhabitants of my pico
Red cherry shrimp and corydoras habrosus so you can see what they look like. Pardon the algae. Tank is 5 gallon Current Solo USA.

Attachments

• 1441663059997.jpg
    1441663059997.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 1441663091300.jpg
    1441663091300.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 36
Interesting. I just don't think of 20g as being nano at all. Not disputing what you wrote just seems funny to me. I've heard of Pico and I thought those were under 5g. Not like it really matters anyway. All we need to know is how many gallons not the fancy terms. Lol

Yeah I was just looking at a 5 gallon and you're right definitely nano. So now you can curse me and make slappy motions lol.

Hahaha! I have a book of nano fish on my night stand. I'll consult it and get back to you.

Hahaha! I have a book of nano fish on my night stand. I'll consult it and get back to you.

This book??

Attachments

• 1441665449533.jpg
    1441665449533.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 49
Yes!! It's a good book actually. What does it say about tank sizes. I'm two floors away from my copy and too lazy to go get it

Yes!! It's a good book actually. What does it say about tank sizes. I'm two floors away from my copy and too lazy to go get it

As far as being a nano? "Tanks with a capacity of 20 gallons or less"

Ok. I give. What about defining pico?

There was a guy called nanoking on another forum back when nano tanks were taking off and he defined a pico as being under 7 gallons, but since I've looked at my 5 gal and now I'm looking at my 3 gal, pico should definitely be less than 5. Unless someone has done away with pico and they are all now nano. OK now I'm making my own brain hurt lol.

OP you need the nano fish book. One of the authors sells these kinds of fish on her website. I forgot what it's called. Maybe pm Theresam.

Back
Top Bottom