Seeding filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vienolac

Aquarium Advice Freak
How long does it take to seed filer media with bacteria so I can throw the old one away.

The bio wheel on my filter is turning slow and a friend suggested I change the filter. It was kinda gunky. But I had 2 in because I was trying to seed. But I guess I left the first one in to long. Because the second one was pretty dirty too.

I threw away the old one put in a new one and kept the other old one so I can seed. When is a good time to throw this away

You should never throw away the biowheels. If they are very gunky, just swish them in some used tank water. Same goes for your filter media- you want to keep it until its literally falling apart. When it starts to fall apart, add the new media in with the old for a couple of weeks to seed the new media. For cleaning media, same thing goes- just swish it in some used tank water with water changes.

Ok. I didn't not mean the bio wheel thrown away lol ^-^.

I meant the blue filter cartridge things.. The ones that say replace every 2-4 weeks

Also. I just did my water change. And took my filter tubing apart and it had algae grown all inside of it lol! And I rinsed everything off in the water like you said. The biowheel has a big grey spot in the middle now lol!
But that doesn't harm BB right?

Is this a new setup if it isn't I don't see any reason to keep the old filter pad because there's bacteria growing all over your tank, on rocks in gravel etc.

Back
Top Bottom