Seeding filter for faster cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
If I were to take a 1/4 cup of gravel from one of my cycled tank and put it directly into the filter of another tank that needs cycling, would that help to "seed" the bacteria growth?

Yes but you could just as easily hang it in a filter sock or a brand new pantyhose. What would work even better/faster would be actual filter media. Any reason you can't steal some filter floss or foam from your established tank and throw it in the new filter? Even if it isn't made for the other filter, you can usually make it fit with some persuasion.

Yes but you could just as easily hang it in a filter sock or a brand new pantyhose. What would work even better/faster would be actual filter media. Any reason you can't steal some filter floss or foam from your established tank and throw it in the new filter? Even if it isn't made for the other filter, you can usually make it fit with some persuasion.

OK, this is going to probably sound retarded but, how can I use the filter floss from my other tank? Its in a clip that holds it into the filter. If I cut it, its not going to fit into the filter correctly anymore. Unless there is a trick to it. LIke I said, I'm new to seeding other tanks.

I've been wondering about the established tank...when you take some of the filter media with part of the bb colony, does that cause a spike in ammonia or nitrite? I was planning to take some of the bio media from my brothers canister filter when we start our new 125 gallon...but I worry about disrupting the balance in that tank (240 gallon). Should I be concerned about this?

Generally if you do not remove all the media you will not notice a spike at all. Depending on the size of the tank and available filter media, of course.

For example, I seeded my 30g tank with filter media from my 10g. The 10g (aquatech) used filter cartridges and the 30g used foam blocks (Aquaclear) and media bags. I just cut up the 10g filter media to fit into the 30g's filter. It doesn't have to be pretty. Just put it in there in a way that won't restrict the filter's flow too much.

When I set up my 75g, I threw my filter from my 30g on it for a month and ran it alongside my canister filter. I never experienced any spikes either.

I just some of the gravel in my filter from my established tank. I plan to do a fish in cycle. Can I use ghost shrimp for a fish in cycle or are their bioloads too small?

Shrimp will not put enough of a bioload out to get your ammonia levels up. If you are doing a fish-in cycle I would recommend doing it with something hardier than a shrimp. Be prepared for lots of water changes too! ;)

Shrimp will not put enough of a bioload out to get your ammonia levels up. If you are doing a fish-in cycle I would recommend doing it with something hardier than a shrimp. Be prepared for lots of water changes too! ;)

I did fish in cycles with all my other tanks so I know all about water changes :) What about a small school of cherry barbs or neon tetras. Would that be enough bio load? My last 2 tanks I used White Skirts and GloFish.

Barbs would be a good choice, IMO. I never had much luck with neons. I've probably owned 30+ in my years of keeping them and I don't think any lived over a couple years.

Barbs would be a good choice, IMO. I never had much luck with neons. I've probably owned 30+ in my years of keeping them and I don't think any lived over a couple years.

Dont feel bad. We seem to replace the neons in our 30 gallon at least every other month. Every other fish we have in there thrives...

I have never had any problems keeping Neons. I have 10 that are 4 years old now - I had 15 to start with but over the years my cat has eaten 5 of them - long story, don't ask - But IMO I wouldn't cycle a tank with them.

Some of the larger tetras and barbs have a better chance of making it though a fish-in cycle.

Back
Top Bottom