Seeking advice from experts to prevent problems ..... 38 gallon stocked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paul1792

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would appreciate any advice that you may have regarding my tank. I decided to ask before I have problems. After dealing with blackbush algae (now cured thanks to this forum) and being stupid enough to put neons in with goldfish ….. which of course disappeared, please provide me with any adice on care to keep me from having future problems. My setup:

38 gallon, HOB Aqua-Tech 30-60 filter (300GPH). Tank is 32 months old and I switched from goldfish to tropicals on August 1. No real plants but lots of “silk” plants + driftwood. The tank is stocked as follows:

2 x albino cory (very small)
5 x black neons
8 x neon tetra
5 x Harlequin Rasbora
5 x Serpae Tetra
5 x white cloud
5 x Red Eye Tetra
2 x Platy (Red Wagtail).

Fish are all healthy and happy looking and acting right now. The water is crystal clear with no smell. I had it tested yesterday at Petland …. with the good “drops” and it was Pristine. I keep the tank at 75 degrees.

Potential issues I see are:

Fish/Corys: According to aqadvisor.com, I am "maxed out" at 102% of capacity on fish and the only advice they give me is that albino cory do best with 4. Fish “expert” at Petland said two is fine. I plan to stick with two.

Water Quality: Tap water here in 32563 (Midway Water Supply, Gulf Breeze FL) is horrific. To keep the tank clear and within normal bio limits, I have to buy gallon jugs of spring water so water changes cost $$. Despite aqadvisor telling me I need to do 30% weekly, I plan to do 20% biweekly water changes (including gravel vacuum). Thus, I need good testing supplies. With my goldfish & Pleco combo …. I used Walmart’s Jungle Quick Dip test strips …… doing 20% bi weekly …… (¼ the changes aqadvisor recommended) and water was always clear and tested fine. Should I use a better test strip …… and if so, which one? Or … should I be using the more sophisticated liquid/test tube method? [Note: if tests show water degraded ….. I’ll just suck up the $$ costs with more water changes. ]

Filter: This goes along with water quality. I know my filter is a WalMart "el cheapo" but I got it after an emergency breakdown. I plan on upgrading to an AquaClear70 or something like that someday ..... but would I better off to just go ahead and replace it now ???

Feeding: I feed using a “floating ring,” alternating with TetraMin and API flakes twice daily and Hikari frozen brine shrimp twice weekly. Fish devour all food … especially the brine shrimp. Only problem: the API flakes seem a bit too “fine grained” so I turn off the filter during feeding but some still goes to the bottom for the corys. Should I ditch either or both of the TetraMin (mediocre quality) or API (too fine) and go with something else??

Thanks for your input and tips !!!

Oops one more thing ....... is there a tutorial on how to post pictures to this forum?

Last edited:
One thing I did with my tank I had overstocked was buy a ehiem(however its spelled) vacuum. They are motorized and doesn't take any water out of the system. That way you can keep the gravel clean in between water changes. I did this on my 120 African cichlid tank and my water was always perfect. I was way overstocked. At least 40 fish in it

To post pics just go to where you reply press the + sign and choose where you want the pic to come from. Then click on it once downloaded insert inline and write a comment with it

To post pics just go to where you reply press the + sign and choose where you want the pic to come from. Then click on it once downloaded insert inline and write a comment with it

Thanks for the tips. I added one last thing through edit while you were answering me .......

Filter: This goes along with water quality. I know my filter is a WalMart "el cheapo" but I got it after an emergency breakdown. I plan on upgrading to an AquaClear70 or something like that someday ..... but would I better off to just go ahead and replace it now ???

What would you recommend ?????

The wal mart filter is 300gph. Id go with an aqueon 55/75 (400gph) or an aquaclear 110 (500gph). If too much flow is a problem then jam some filter floss in the top or so. This will keep your tank really clean between water changes/gravel vacs

I'm using an emperor 400 on my 30 gallon African cichlid tank right now. I'm not sure about other filters since I've started using the emperor my water has stayed perfect even in overstocked tanks. I'm the type that sticks to what I know works good for me

You should definitely invest in an API freshwater master test kit. They're pretty cheap on amazon or eBay (~$20). Strips can be pretty inaccurate.

Good suggestion

You should definitely invest in an API freshwater master test kit. They're pretty cheap on amazon or eBay (~$20). Strips can be pretty inaccurate.
You're right. Thanks ........ now that I think about it, the test strips were showing everything was fine when my tank was overrun by black brush algae which I cured following the advice in this forum. To avoid shipping charges, next time I place an Amazon order, I'll add the API test kit to the order.

You're right. Thanks ........ now that I think about it, the test strips were showing everything was fine when my tank was overrun by black brush algae which I cured following the advice in this forum. To avoid shipping charges, next time I place an Amazon order, I'll add the API test kit to the order.

+1 on the API FW Master test kit and an AC 110 hob filter. You can run the new filter in conjunction with the old one for a few weeks (and possibly transfer some of the media from the old filter) to ensure the BB gets established. If the flow from both filters is not too much, I'd suggest running both moving forward. That way if one filter were to ever go out of service, then you'd have a backup that keeps things going especially since you are overstocked.

It's recommended to keep more then 2 Cory cats because they are a shoaling fish. I've always been told of at least 3. I'll probably have 10 in my 90 gallon.

It's recommended to keep more then 2 Cory cats because they are a shoaling fish. I've always been told of at least 3. I'll probably have 10 in my 90 gallon.

You are right. I am going to add two more. I was thinking about it anyways just because they are so "cute" and active in my tank. They really stand out. I am going to buy two more !!!!!!!

Thanks

I am also going to switch my food to NLS New Life Spectrum Freshwater Flakes w/Garlic unless someone gives me a better idea. The API is not so great !!!!!!!

Purchases Made-Thanks everyone/Red Tetra Issue/Preventative Medicine

I just placed my amazon order for the API Master Test Kit, API GH & KH test kit, and New Life Spectrum flakes 90 gram. Entire order was $40.88 with free shipping. Wow ..... That's less than the $49 Petland charges for the test kit alone. Yesterday I added two more small albino corys. The tank looks "complete" now. They adapted immediately.

Interesting, when I went back to PetSmart for the corys, I discovered I had Red Minor Tetra not the common Red Serpae.

Hyphessobrycon serpae = Long Fin Red Minor Tetra (Not in database of aqadvisor.com)
Hyphessobrycon eques = Serpae Tetra

The "cousins" I find are known to be "fin nippers" if not in proper environment. Many are saying there should be 6 in the tank ....... I have only 5. Since all behavior in the tank appears to be peaceful coexistence, I'll just kind of keep an eye on 'em for now.

Looks like other than water exhange & HOB filter change, I should be able to sit back & enjoy. For now, I am opting not to put any type of "preventative medication ... water conditioners ... yada yada ...." unless my water tests show something wrong when the test kits arrive next week.

I just placed my amazon order for the API Master Test Kit, API GH & KH test kit, and New Life Spectrum flakes 90 gram. Entire order was $40.88 with free shipping. Wow ..... That's less than the $49 Petland charges for the test kit alone. Yesterday I added two more small albino corys. The tank looks "complete" now. They adapted immediately.

Interesting, when I went back to PetSmart for the corys, I discovered I had Red Minor Tetra not the common Red Serpae.

Hyphessobrycon serpae = Long Fin Red Minor Tetra (Not in database of aqadvisor.com)
Hyphessobrycon eques = Serpae Tetra

The "cousins" I find are known to be "fin nippers" if not in proper environment. Many are saying there should be 6 in the tank ....... I have only 5. Since all behavior in the tank appears to be peaceful coexistence, I'll just kind of keep an eye on 'em for now.

Looks like other than water exhange & HOB filter change, I should be able to sit back & enjoy. For now, I am opting not to put any type of "preventative medication ... water conditioners ... yada yada ...." unless my water tests show something wrong when the test kits arrive next week.

I had serape tetras once. I started out with only 5 and they were bad a nipping at chasing everyone else in my tank. I then read about having atleast 6 so I went back to LFS and ended up getting 2 more making my numbers 7. It seemed for me that having an odd number that was over 6 did the trick. They still chased and nipped, but it was only within their school and they completely ignored everyone else. Maybe that could work for you!

Back
Top Bottom