Seeking Assistance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok...my test readings today were mostly the same as yesterday. But my little glowlight tetra appears to be in the throes of death. I took him out of the tank and put him in the little bowl with the tiny undergravel filter I had in it originally for him, because the other fish in the tank were starting to push him and I was afraid they would peck at him.

I picked up some anti-bacterial stuff for fin rot and the like, but my question is should I treat the whole tank with this? The two remaining silver tetras have very badly frayed fins, but they appear to be eating normally and playing. The algae eater appears unaffected by anything except when someone gets in his area, he chases them off.

If all my fish (or even all but the algae eater die), what should I do with the tank before getting new fish? I'm so confused as to why they still might be dying.

My test readings today fluctuated a little, but not much. I'll post them here.

7:30 AM
Ammonia .25 safe
Nitrate 20 safe
Nitrite 1.0 - (said stress on this one?)
GH 75 Soft
KH 40 Low
pH 7.0 Neutral

20% water change at 10:00 AM with gravel vacuum

10:45 AM reading after water change:
Ammonia .25 safe
Nitrate 20 safe
Nitrite .5 Caution
GH 75 Soft
KH 40 Low
pH 6.8 Neutral

Last check at 5:00 PM
Ammonia .25
Nitrate 15 safe
Nitrite 1.0 Stress
GH 75 Soft
KH 40 Low
pH 7.0 Neutral

I'm hoping Allivymar posts on this, but I would say just let it float for a few weeks until everything mellows out and the fish get comfortable with everything. You may want to avoid any big changes.. :) It would be also nice for your fish if they had a little cover to go under, do they have a dark spot where they can go now? Also try to fade the lights out at night so they can feel like they are in normal habitat (lights on in room and tank lite moved to side, wait, then tank lite off, wait, then room lite off) Thats just my 2cents :wink:

Man why dont they ship tank lights with dimmers

I want to thank everyone who helped me out here on my first post and first crisis for this board. My life has been saner ever since, and my enjoyment of having an aquarium has become tenfold! In my photo gallery here at aquariumadvice, you will find pictures of the two tetras and the one algae eater that are still alive, healthy, and happy today because of the great advice I got here last month. :)

I thank you, my daughter thanks you, my fish thank you. My cat...he hates you. But that's another story! hehe Thanks everyone.

Yay! I love reading good news :))

Have a buncha kudos for doing such a great job :)

Back
Top Bottom