Seemed like a good idea at the time...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasonit

Aquarium Advice Activist
The back of my 55 gallon FW tank was marred by calcium deposits (Houston has very hard water), and I tried everything I could to remove them. The spots are on the outside so they are very visible no matter what type of background I used. I tried to remove them with vinegar, no luck. Then I tried CLR and Lime Away - Yeah I know it could have been a disaster, but I was extremely cautious. I had no luck with those products either. I tried a razor blade, but that didn't have any effect. So, I came up with a GREAT idea! I went to Lowes and bought a piece of darkly tinted plexiglass and had it cut to the dimensions of my tank. The plan was to slip it INSIDE the tank against the back wall. It would have been a great plan except that there is this pesky bar dividing the top of the tank. The Plexiglass wouldn't fit! In all of my wisdom, I decided that the bar couldn't possibly serve any useful purpose, so I made a small cut, to allow the plexiglass in. The instant I cut through the bar, the tank bowed almost an inch front to back!! I slipped the plexiglass in and locked the front and back of the tank together using a caulking gun turned upside down! I have since screwed the plastic bar back together using a metal strip and about 10 screws. Do y'all think that the glass might be damaged? Will this hold?

Hm, i have seen this before.

Belive it or not that middle divider is more there as a brace than anything else. This way tank manufacuters can put thinner glass in and thus lower the cost of their product.

I dont think you damaged the glass as much as you could have damaged the seals holding the glass together. Doing what you have to pull the tank back together is about as much as you can do shy of actually replacing the top frame of the tank.

It's been 3 days now and there haven't been any leaks, so I am thinking it's ok... Here's hoping!

Man that sucks!!! In the words of Homer Simpson...doh! I'm sorry, I don't have any advice for you on that one...I hope it stays leak free!

What are the screws made of? Hopefully they don't carrode.

hey how were you able to post pics?? Do we need permission?? I am dying to show before and after pics of my tank and stuff!!

My center brace broken on my 45 gal and held for about 5 months, then I noticed a very small crack at the point it met the side pane. Well, I don't need a parade, I bought a 72 gal (but honey, I need a new tank or all my fish are going to die :D ) and my 45 is now my paludarium (water level only about 1/2 way up and with a dry section). I don't recommend using a tank with a cracked, damaged, or removed centerbrace. Without getting into the physics on liquid head on a box, you are risking a disaster.

Hey bearfan,
When you noticed a crack, what was cracked? The plastic around the top or the glass?

Electrobes -
There is a spot to attach a photo under the message box when you type a reply or post a new message. Any registered user can post photos.

I only have 33 gal tanks with no braces and they are all bowed as you described,though not to that degree.I feel that with larger tanks the braces are there to make sure the hood or canopy will fit properly.With really large tanks,yes it is a structural concern.Nice idea with the plexi too.I don't think you have any worries here.Take care. :D

Back
Top Bottom