selecting fish for a twenty gallon high tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mstrawn1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. I will be looking to purchase some fish for my twenty gallon (high) tank. I am looking for some suggestions for some interesting, yet easy to keep fish. Thanks, Mark.

Hello~
Hm, Well Gouramis can be nice and there are many different kinds. Mollies seem to do well and are pretty hardy. Angel fish are always beautiful to look at, alot of folks say they can be picky to keep, but I've had one that has survived my learning stage/beginner mistakes. I like the look of parrot fish with so many different colors, but I"m not sure how easy they are to keep, plus they are a little pricey. Maybe some cichlids that don't get very large, like the dwarfs. There are so many possiblities. You could make brackish water and keep puffer fish, they may be picky though. I'm really not helping here I think, lol. You'll just have to take your time and look many places till you see some fish that just strike you. Good luck!
~Melissa~

ok I had to chime in on this one to recomend my favorite fish Phteraphylum sclare ( common angel fish) they are gorgeous usu. good feeders and pretty tolerant if the aquarist makes mistakes ( trust me it is the fish I started wuth and I made plenty of mistakes).They come in many varieties from black marbled silver and I recently seen a koi colored. Don't forget a clean up crew I would use a cory cat or two and a pleco. Silver dollars are also nice but might wreak havoc with a planted tank :D

I'd have to recommend , maybe after a couple of weeks from the start a pair of ClownLoaches. Very pretty fish and although sensitive, fairly easy to look after.
Also, you have to have a a Red Tail Shark too, they are jet black with a red tail (obviously) and are best kept alone (no other sharks).
For real basic pretty fish , add a few guppies & platy's. Again, very simple to care for, yet v. nice on the eye. 8)

20 gallon tank

I've got a 30 gallon tank with 10 rasbora, 6 kuhli, 3 ancistrus and a couple of colisa lalia. I was told the kuhli, ancistrus don't need a lot of oxygen and the colisa lalia take oxygen at the surface, too, so I think these fish are quite good for a small tank.

20 high

Just curious...what are your water parameters? Need pH and hardness. Knowing this will enable us to recommend some fish to you. Are you using well water or city water? For example most of the tetras do better in soft, acidic water whereas african cichlids prefer hard, alkaline water. If you don't have the required tests, you can probably take a water sample to the pet store and get it tested.
Logan J

I think that a tank with a mix of Angelfish and Pearl Gouramis or any type of dwarf gouramis would be beautiful. I am partial to the slow moving, graceful types. Lowers the blood pressure and all, you know! I would also throw in something to clean up a bit, a small pleco, cory or something like that.

red tail shark?

I read that a red-tail shark is going to grow way too big

I had problems with my silver dollars - they grew large and become aggressive

I'm having trouble currently with my parrot

I have three tin foil barbs - first tank - now they ( along with my four-line pelonid cat) are going to be HUGE 0 :roll:

You learn from your first tank

Back
Top Bottom