Selling Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Feynman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Like many new to the hobby, I went out and bought some fish to start my tank out without really thinking what I was going to do with the tank. I have since completely changed the direction I want to go with the tank. What can I do with the fish I no longer want? I can't just go flush a live fish, I mean... thats just not right.... right? Can you exchange fish at the LFS or sell them? What do you guys do when you want to part ways with your fish?

Has anyone had personal success with the fish for credit thing like Corty mentioned? I'd just hate to be the guy in the store who doesn't know what's up. I'd rather have you guys think that since you won't see my face in your store all the time :D

If you look at the "Jump To" menu, there is a texas forum, and you can post there that you have X fish that needs a new home. SOme people may be close to where you live, and may be willing to pick it up. If its an expensive fish I guess you could try to sell it. I just give mine away, Im always afraid there might be something wrong with them (even though they look healthy) and the last thing I want to do is sell someone a sick fish.

No chain stores will buy fish. I have one lfs here who will buy fish and I've sold probably 4 fish to them. It's not a big deal to just ask whether or not they buy fish.

Some good suggestions posted here already - trade or give to lfs, and sell or give to someone on the Texas regional forum.

I'll suggest another. Do a google search for local aquarium clubs in your area. They are a great place to buy/sell/trade/give away fish.

Good local fish stores will buy back fish for in store credit although typically at a discount. My lfs takes 40% off of the price for fish they buy back. On the up side, if you have had the fish for a while and they have grown then the lfs may sell the larger fish at a higher price than what you paid for them originally. Also the price of the fish you bought may have gone up since you purchased it because of seasonal availability.

All my LFS will not give you cash for fish, but will give you store credit. It's not much, but it's better then nothing.

It certainly couldn't hurt to ask. The worst they can say is no.

Thanks for all the ideas for what I can do with my fish If I don't want to take them back to the store. I wouldn't have thought of trading them etc....

Thanks for making this not a stupid question. I had never heard of people taking fish back to the store before. With confidence obtained from your responses in this post, I contacted my LFS and they said they would accept the fish in return for store credit. So, thats what I'm planning on doing since these aren't really very special fish where I could get much in trade.

Thanks! I'll try not to be such a newbie in the future. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom