Selling fish to LFS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Badger

Aquarium Advice Regular
This might/might not belong in the lounge, but I was wondering about selling fish to your LFS. My dad has a large crop of beautiful mollies he would like to sell, I was just wondering if you had any advice, warnings, or anything like that. Do you just walk in and say "I have 50 mollies I'd like to sell you, do you buy fish?"...Feedback? :)
(and not just mollies, I'd llike to sell my fancy guppies and swordtails if I ever get a very nice bunch of them.)

My LFS won't pay for fish. I have read that some stores will either buy them or give you a store credit. You would have to call your LFS to find out.

My LFS buys from local breeders and pays the going rate that he gets charged from his suppliers. You can get store credit or cash. Like Roka64 said I would call and talk to the LFS.

Mine is willing to buy corries when they are approaching saleable size but only for 50p each.
I normally just give them to him anyway as I get discounts on bloodworm/hardware etc.

I suppose it depends on how well your lfs know you as a customer.There could be a risk of reputation being damaged were they to sell on stock which was diseased or had birth defects etc.

Yeah, I would be hesitant to sell only because I do not want to sell them stock with any sort of defect.
One thing they need help in is plants....none of my small LFS have good plants. They're all sick or dead. I have to go to petsmart & petco...

they wont buy for much, i payed $3.99 for kenyi cichlids, and was offered $1.25 each.

expect even less for mollies, guppies, platies, other easy to breed fish

hc8719 said:
they wont buy for much, i payed $3.99 for kenyi cichlids, and was offered $1.25 each.

expect even less for mollies, guppies, platies, other easy to breed fish

Which store was this? I've always wondered what I'd do with excess fish.

Back
Top Bottom