Senegal Bichir tankmate suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nessalang

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone have any experience with bichirs? I just purchased a little senegal/cuvier bichir about 3 inches long. At the moment he has a 40G breeder all to himself, but I was wondering if anyone has had any success keeping other species with bichirs long term and in what size aquarium. I had heard that larger, mellower fish will do well with them - I was thinking about silver dollars or a severum (thoughts?). What about other African species? I am thinking about setting up a 60e to house the bichir when he gets bigger, but I am not sure if this will be large enough.

Thanks!

Does anyone have any experience with bichirs? I just purchased a little senegal/cuvier bichir about 3 inches long. At the moment he has a 40G breeder all to himself, but I was wondering if anyone has had any success keeping other species with bichirs long term and in what size aquarium. I had heard that larger, mellower fish will do well with them - I was thinking about silver dollars or a severum (thoughts?). What about other African species? I am thinking about setting up a 60e to house the bichir when he gets bigger, but I am not sure if this will be large enough.

Thanks!

Well a 40 gallon is perfect for your new boy for life! They only reach about 8 inches in aquariums! I have an albino senegalus polypterus (same as you) a wonderful tank mate is the African spotted leaf fish (leopard ctenopoma) you could also do a school of Congo tetras!

40 gallon planted aquarium
1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

I keep mine with a severum, threadfin acara, and a bunch of rainbowfish currently. And a baby featherfin catfish. All in a 150, all working out great together. The bichir is about 6" long, pretty much swims around and keeps to herself. If you were going to get a severum though you could start with a 40 since they're relatively slow growers but would need to upgrade to at least a 60. Preferably larger.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I keep mine with a severum, threadfin acara, and a bunch of rainbowfish currently. And a baby featherfin catfish. All in a 150, all working out great together. The bichir is about 6" long, pretty much swims around and keeps to herself. If you were going to get a severum though you could start with a 40 since they're relatively slow growers but would need to upgrade to at least a 60. Preferably larger.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If you go with a stock list of

1x bichir
1x leopard ctenopoma
10x Congo tetras
And you could probably do another species. But that should work out forever

1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

Awesome, thank you! I really love severums, they have wonderful personalities :) I also really like the idea of species from the same region all together. I have never seen leopard ctenopomas for sale at any LFS though, are they relatively uncommon or do they simply need to be special ordered?

Awesome, thank you! I really love severums, they have wonderful personalities :) I also really like the idea of species from the same region all together. I have never seen leopard ctenopomas for sale at any LFS though, are they relatively uncommon or do they simply need to be special ordered?

Not uncommon at all. There commonly sold as "leopard leaf fish" they make a wonderful addition reaching sizes of 6+ inches ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421603863.577608.jpg

1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

Back
Top Bottom