Serpae tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chaik

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone know why my Serpae tetras have silver tipped fins

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do you have a pic, there are a couple other species that also get labeled as serpae/ hyphessobrycon eques. Red phantoms/ hyphessobrycon sweglesi will get silver tips.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The pics online show serpaes with white tips

They are definitely a closely related species, but they're not true serpaes, maybe red phantoms. Stores normally label fish under whatever name was on the list when they order and mis id's are common.

True serpae should look like this

Attachments

• 1404706671358.jpg
    1404706671358.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 123
Might just be a variant. Sort of like how some Serpae Tetras have long fins. If they're captive bred then sometimes the breeders like to try and breed different variations to see what kind might become popular. Or sometimes it just happens unintentionally.

Just for grins, I did an image search for both Serpae and Red Phantom Tetras. FWIW, most of the images of Serpae's had silver/white tipped fins and barely any of the Red Phantoms had the same. Keep in mind that various images of neither Tetras also came up.

Attachments

• Serpae Tetra.jpg
    Serpae Tetra.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 71
My serpaes are very much serpaes and all from the same breeder. Some have the white tips on their anal fins (7 of 10), and only 2 have them on their dorsal fins. So I suppose that is absolutely no help!

My serpaes are very much serpaes and all from the same breeder. Some have the white tips on their anal fins (7 of 10), and only 2 have them on their dorsal fins. So I suppose that is absolutely no help!

I've owned serpaes on several occasions some collected by a friend in the MSU biology department and tank raised, none of which had white tips.

There doesn't seem to be any clarification. Mine were all from the same hatch/spawn/litter/parents apparently...if they shouldn't have the white tips, perhaps mine have a bit if 'Neanderthal' style recessive tetra gene coming through...funny thing is, it depends on where they are in relation to the light as to whether or not the white tips are visible, and how they have them positioned - but they are definitely there. Perhaps there's a control light system for colour classifications?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404800622.860489.jpg

Back
Top Bottom