Serpae Tetra/Red Minor Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They're surprisingly similar to TigerBarbs in behavior ... Known fin nippers so a school of at least 6. I do like them and considered adding them, but decided i didn't need TB copycats.

If I kept a school of 9, could they be with these fish?
2 Bolivian Rams
2 Keyhole Cichlids
1 Dwarf Gourami
1 BN pleco

I've read threads where a similar setup worked ... Not sure about the keyhole cichlids.

Sorry but you can't put serpaes with dwarf gouramis. They feed on scales and fish fins. The dwarf gourami would be a sitting duck.

I have a community tank with 6 serpea tetras & 8 black skirt tetras. There hasn't been a problem with anybody nipping fins & 4 of the serpeas & 2 of the black skirts are long fin species. Thats just my experience. With 9 of them, they should keep to themselves. But it wouldn't hurt to have a backup plan for your dwarf just in case.

bettaowner said:
Sorry but you can't put serpaes with dwarf gouramis. They feed on scales and fish fins. The dwarf gourami would be a sitting duck.

I have Never heard this before, I keep a school of 6 Serpaes in a community tank with a couple of Angels and a pearl Gourami and other than the occasional nip they more or less keep to themselves. They also only started the nipping when their numbers dropped from 9 to 6 (lost a few when I moved). Of course, other people say their Serpaes terrorised their tank so your experience may be different.

Back
Top Bottom