Serpae Tetras. Yay or Nay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While most people report good experiences with them, there have been more than a few people complaining that they are nippy. Nay.

My brother bought 25 for his 75 gallon and so far only 2 didnt make it. They seem to be easy to stress out though.

i have a small school of ten-in a large community tank -
theyve been great ,,no troubles with anyone else in the tank,
and quite hardy.
will probably add some more.

I like serpaes. They do have a reputation for nippiness but I believe that they are more nippy towards each other than with other fish. I've kept them with in tanks with gourami without any incidents of nipping. As long as they are in a decent sized group you shouldn't have any problems with them.

Bryan

I second Essayons89's comments. I have 4 serpaes (plan to add two more) and six black phantoms that all shoal together. These two species really complement each other in terms of coloration - really eye-catching! I would suggest five of each.

As far as nippiness, the serpaes only pester each other - they leave everyone else alone.

I have a school of 7 of them in my 55. They were very nippy in the quarrantine tank, 4 of them, so I increased their number and that helped a great deal. They seem to keep their issues conspecific, and allow a lone black phantom tetra to school with them, and do not bother the white clouds, cardinals, angel or dwarf gourami. I find their colors beautiful and complement the green of a planted tank beautifully. My vote is Yea.

Back
Top Bottom