Serpaes and angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catfish Lover

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got 30 serpae teats and 11 peppered corys in my 55 and they look awesome , no nipping or anything. Could I possibly put 2 angelfish in there without the being torn apart?

i think it would be tempting for the serpae tetras to do that what size of angelfish are you planning to get? ive seen these guys tear a betta before

Serpae's are not a good choice for keeping with angels. The fact you have such a large school greatly lowers the chance of them fin nipping at other species but honestly I would not keep angels, regardless of size, with them.

I have 5 long fin red minors and 1 fairly large angel. No issues at all. But I guess try to find some larger Angels and you should be ok

I have 5 long fin red minors and 1 fairly large angel. No issues at all. But I guess try to find some larger Angels and you should be ok

I've seen tanks with tiger barbs and angels before too but just because it happens to work for one persons tank doesn't mean it will work for another persons tank. Serpae tetra's are known fin nippers which means there is good chance they will harass angels regardless of size. I've been keeping angels for over 30 years and have learned that there are always exceptions of some fish combinations working but in general IMO it's best to err on the side of caution with some fish combinations.

Serpae's are not a good choice for keeping with angels. The fact you have such a large school greatly lowers the chance of them fin nipping at other species but honestly I would not keep angels, regardless of size, with them.

Thanks rivercats, I kinda expected that to be the answer. Was just hoping for that slight chance it would be ok. I would never expierement with a living creature. I'm more than happy with my school of tetras alone, it looks great. May up them to 40 since they're a fairly small fish and that I'm heavily planted. It looks very natural.

I've seen tanks with tiger barbs and angels before too but just because it happens to work for one persons tank doesn't mean it will work for another persons tank. Serpae tetra's are known fin nippers which means there is good chance they will harass angels regardless of size. I've been keeping angels for over 30 years and have learned that there are always exceptions of some fish combinations working but in general IMO it's best to err on the side of caution with some fish combinations.

Never said it would or wouldn't work. I realize its all a matter of fish, I have had tigers with angels too. Guess im kinda lucky really then, The angel is always the one being the bully, he fended off 2 gold gouramis.

Never said it would or wouldn't work. I realize its all a matter of fish, I have had tigers with angels too. Guess im kinda lucky really then, The angel is always the one being the bully, he fended off 2 gold gouramis.

Understood.. But unless their was 100% chance they wouldn't bother them I wouldn't try. I may end up getting 1 bolivian cichlid.

I have 6 serpae tetras. I've seen them go after other tetras and gold barbs but never my angel. I also have a Bolivian ram and although they have bugged him no fin issues. My serpaes hang out near bottom/mid tank while Angel is always mid\top dwelling

I have 6 serpae tetras. I've seen them go after other tetras and gold barbs but never my angel. I also have a Bolivian ram and although they have bugged him no fin issues. My serpaes hang out near bottom/mid tank while Angel is always mid\top dwelling

That's great to hear that it's working for you but I guess I'm just not willing to take the risk unless it was 100% workable with no issues. Maybe my tone will change in future because my serpaes actually bothered my corys for awhile then just stopped.

Back
Top Bottom