Serpai tetras??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amesdrew

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 29 gallon fishtank it has two GBR's, 3 Serpai Tetras, 1 Lemon Tetra, 3 zipper loaches, female betta, and a clown pleco.

My question is will the lemon tetra calm down if i just get a bigger group of Serpai's? he has one eye and is the biggest tetra and somewhat terrorizes everything in the tank ecspecially the poor betta.

Would i have room? would this work? or either way will i have to get more lemon tetras? I have heard the serpai and lemon are a cousin to each other...

Thanks,
Drew

Tetra are schooling fish and really are more happy in groups of their own kind, not as a single addition to your tank. (Groups of five or more are even better.) Your lemon tetra should not be agressive- if he is, it's most likely because he uncomfortable being by himself.

IMO, if you add anymore fish to your tank, you really need more lemon tetra.

Coleallensmom is spot on. When I had Tetras they always thrived in groups of 5 or 6. You'll often see the groups create a pecking order. When the group is small, they will get aggressive.

By groups I'm referring to specific groups of Tetras such as 6 Lemon, 6 Serpae and so on.

Tetras are nice looking fish. I couln't keep them due to our hard water and high pH.

Hello,
Tetras are schooling fish and should really be kept in groups of 6+.
When they are alone or in insufficient group sizes, they become scared and uncomfortable. Such stress can bring on aggressive or skittish personalities.

Your best bet is to add 3 Serpais and 5 Lemon Tetras. Things should calm down then.

Good luck! :)
Hope this helps.

Ok, thanks everyone. Ill probably get more of both fish and up my filtration system to match more fish. any suggestions on what type of filter that would work on my 29 gallon but can also be useful for a 55 gallon or so?? (when i get one....)

Oh and to clarify, i did have two lemon tetras but the one eyed monster took care of that. Wish i would have known they would be THAT aggressive by themselves.

Thanks again,
Drew

A EHIEM 2217 Classic canister filter should work on both 55 and 30 gallon tanks.

Tyler

I have 3 Serpae Tetras, 1 Male and 2 Females. When ever I put the fish food in the go crazy like little piranahs, They nip at my Cardinal Tetra's fins to keep them away from the food. Other then that they seem to be peacuful fish. But I read that if you have problems with nipping to add a few more to your school and they won't bother with the other fish.

Here is how I discovered my Serpae's gender. The top fish is the male and the bottom is the female;
2it0svm.gif

I have (i think) 1 male and 2 females based on that picture. They aren't really the problem, they just seem to follow the lemon tetras lead. Beautiful fish though my fish store has a huge tank filled with Lemon and Serpai in big groups, wish i had that kind of room.

Back
Top Bottom