Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Setting indoor tank for my outdoor pond fish.

I decided in march I wanted to start building ponds. I started out with a 100 gallon preformed in March, got 2 Shubunkins,1 Koi and 3 goldfish all small. I wasn't sure if it was going to work out in the yard or not. I am pleased so far!! So I have been working on a 30" long x 14" wide x 5" deep area for the permanent pond. I got 5 butterfly Koi 1 1/2' also to add to the family. So I setup a 75 gallon tank to house them in for the next 6 months. Figured they would be fine with the rate of growth on the Koi. I currently have the 2 Shubunkins (now 5 inches),1 Koi (3 inch),5
(1 1/2 inch) Butterfly Koi in the planted tank. I just got the second tank to house the 5 butterfly Koi later on. The goldfish are staying outside through the winter months.
Now you know the background!
So onto the second tank I want to setup now to help the cycle along fishless. I read to take gravel from an established tank, ornaments, driftwood etc. I have a new filter coming today. Do I take one of the filters with good bacteria in it and place in the new hang on filter? I bought extra driftwood shale weighted pieces for this reason. I have been soaking to get rid of tannins for the last 2 weeks. (Just put in the 75 today)I can move those as well. I got 5 bags of new gravel for the 55 gallon. How do I establish good bacteria on that? I really don't want to throw extra gravel in do I? I have read here and other places to fill a new stocking with gravel and put in established tank. Is that the best route? I have put in 2 15 lbs bags of the (Flourite Red) for the planted tank under my gravel. So I really dont want to take too much from my big tank. I will be stocking them with non pond fish after the construction is completed. Although I have really taken a liking to the way cute Shubunkins!! If only they would be better tankmates than the 4 fish I have found so far in my research on them...So any help would be GREATLY appreciated as these are my first 2 tanks EVER!!
So I think that about wraps up the lengthy post!

Old 08-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I forgot to add the pleco to the mix and I remeasured the butterflies they are 2 1/2 inches.

Tags
fish, pond, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com