Setting up a shrimp tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrozenDeth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im looking to set up a 10g tank for a red cherry shrimp colony and had a few questions.

I ordered a sponge filter and wanted to know if I run the filter in my established 15g community tank will I be able to move the shrimp and the filter over to the new tank at the same time. If so how long should I run the sponge filter in my old tank. If not what is the best way to get the new tank cycled and ready for the shrimp (~20).

What would be the best plants to put in for the shrimp, have a bag of eco complete substrate coming with the filter and I have a 15w standard hood light. I would want to stay low light no co2. Also wondering if red ramshorn snails would bother the young shrimp.

Any other advice on setting up this tank or growing a red cherry shrimp colony would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Moving the filter over should be fine. I'd start running it on your current tank now. Just test your water and do PWCs once you move it since there will likely be some bacteria die-off. As far as plants go, they love java moss. Java ferns, crypts, anubias, and other low light plants should do fine. The snails won't bother shrimplets, but shrimp will eat snail eggs. HTH.

i would set the tank up get the plants and everything in there. i would wait 2-3 weeks for the filter running in the other tank and then move it over. this gives some time for some micro organism to also get to growing.

I breed several different types of dwarf shrimp and I don't have filters in any of the tanks. I use Eco Complete for my tanks except for my CRS/CBS tank and I use ADA Amazonia II for that. I don't think you need to cycle your tank for shrimp as long as there is plenty of Java Moss, which is THE plant that I highly recommend for them. I never have had any problems not having a filter in the tank when I introduced the shrimp. I never cycled the tanks either. I suggest lots of Java Moss for infusoria and to help seed the tank with beneficial bacteria.

Thanks for the info, I should be getting the filter, substrate and a stand for the tank delivered shortly. Ill set up the tank and get plants and java moss and run the sponge in my 15g for a while then ill move the shrimp and filter over. I have been feeding my shrimp hikari algae wafers and whatever my fish miss should I be feeding them other types of food also?

Back
Top Bottom