Setting up a tank for fiddler crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rossmort

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I am looking to set up a tank around 10 gallons for fiddler crabs. I want to do something that is half water, half land (maybe more like 75/25) and would just like some advise on the best way to go about doing thins. A big question I have is how to filter the water. What type of filter should I buy? This is going to be going in my dorm room and I don't have a huge amount to spend on this if you can take that into consideration. I have read of people setting up waterfalls or river type things with the filter that run through the land area into the water. I would love to do something like that if it is possible.

It would be great if you could tell me some materials to use (filter systems/pumps/whatever else you think I would need) to set something like this up.
Thanks a lot!

EDIT: Would a 5 gallon tank be too little for something like this?

Ross

You could get one of those mini filters for like 2 gallons of water. Since that's all that will be in there, (maybe more, I could be wrong) that will filter it. I don't know how to set up a waterfall, but that would be really cool!!! I guess you could have a permanent siphon with a drop off and then it being pumped back into the tank after it's filtered...WOW. That sounds just like a filter. Geez I just surprised myself...LOL. I wish I could draw a picture of what I have in mind for this. I just got a great idea but I can't describe it to you...maybe someone will catch my "crabby mind waves" (jk) and be able to tell you! Good luck...I don't think I was much help...LOL

LOL, no that was a little. I just don't know much about filters, expecially the internal ones that you are talking about. Will they work with a sand bottom? or does it have to be just the glass? From one of those I think that i might be able to hook up a line from the outflow port and use that to make the river/waterfall thing so who knows, maybe it is easier than I thought. Would I need a full lighted hood or would a screen/glass be ok?

Thanks

I was actually talking about just a regular HOB filter. One of those ones for like 10 gal. Although if the water was falling from that high, it might disturb the substrate unless you made like a path for the water fall...so there would be a space for the filter tube to go under the water, then on either side, there's a pile of rocks or whatever. Sand would be really hard to keep clean I think...but then again I don't really know...LOL. I have a 10 gal that doesn't have fish in it. I'll try to set it up like I'm thinking and then take a picture of it for you. I might even stick water in it and see if it works. A screen would probably be ok...but if you want to see your little guys if there isn't enough light, a hood might be better. I would just use a screen, unless you're planning on using a HOB filter...then a hood would definetly be better.

They make plastic things that are exactly what you are talking about for 10 gallons. It is a piece of plastic that goes on one side of the tank as raised land. It comes with a built in pump and flowing stream. They usually sell them for newts. I have one, the filter for said pump is just a mesh with some carbon in it.

Nice, I will have to check that out! The only thing that I can think of is that I was planning on having the water semi-deep to maybe be able to throw a couple little fish into that but I could always raise that plastic thing a little and probably still make it work. So many ideas :) Thanks for the help!

The height of the thing is about 3/4 of the way up a 10 gallon if I remember right. And you are right about being able to make the water deeper. I would be careful of fish, maybe a few rosies or something that you wouldn't mind ending up in the claws of the crabs.

My bro has fiddler crabs, well had them, now he has these giant rainbow crabs :roll:
He kept them in a 5gal. The deepest part was about 3inches, and then we used the gavel to make a little slope so they could be out of the water to. We diddn't use a filter either. It was really fun setting everything up, cus we would change all the decorations around now and then. We never had any problems with them, they were always healthy and happy, maybe a little too happy.... :wink: if u know what i mean lol
But now we have these crabs that can cut off your finger if they got a chance 8O

good luck with your crabbies!
ashley

You could always upgrade to a 20 gallon and add mudskippers with the fiddler crabs. these do wonderful with each other and look really cool. Make sure to keep the ph at 7.5-8.0, and add smooth rocks that come out of the water so the mudskippers have a place to go that the crabs cant. By the way, muskippers are kind of hard to find.

RogerMcAllen said:
They make plastic things that are exactly what you are talking about for 10 gallons. It is a piece of plastic that goes on one side of the tank as raised land. It comes with a built in pump and flowing stream. They usually sell them for newts. I have one, the filter for said pump is just a mesh with some carbon in it.

I feel so helpless, LOL. Do you know of any specific name for one of these? I have been looking all over but have been unable to find anything! Thanks

fishstixs05 said:
You could always upgrade to a 20 gallon and add mudskippers with the fiddler crabs. these do wonderful with each other and look really cool. Make sure to keep the ph at 7.5-8.0, and add smooth rocks that come out of the water so the mudskippers have a place to go that the crabs cant. By the way, muskippers are kind of hard to find.

Where would one find mudskippers, aside from a trip to the other side of the world? And are they freshwater or saltwater fish?

I think I might have the box at home still, I'll look when I get back there some time this week. If not, I still have the plastic thing and am sure I can find a name on there somewhere.

That would be great to get a name for one of those. I have been looking around my LFS but have not been able to find anything that would work out. I just got a 5 1/2 gallon tank so hopefully they make something like yours only a little smaller. If they don't, I could always take mine back but it would be better to have a little smaller tank in my room. Thanks a lot guys.

Ross

RogerMcAllen said:
I think I might have the box at home still, I'll look when I get back there some time this week. If not, I still have the plastic thing and am sure I can find a name on there somewhere.

Tetra/Second Nature Water's Edge Viquarium Kit

Finally found what you were talking about. Looks really cool BUT made for 10 gallon +, Would consider taking my tank back but they don't make them anymore and the only one I found is on ebay for $60. I am thinking about trying to make my own following the design of this guy.
http://winkrdink.tripod.com/mikesviquarium/index.html

Who knows, I wish I could just find something premade because I don't have much time to construct and am going to be far from tools in my dorm. If anyone knows of another company that makes something like this it would be great to check out.

Just got my tank filled w/ water and sand. Water is condensing on the sides of the glass like crazy! Any easy ways to fix this problem?

How cold is the water? It should stop as soon as the water becomes room temp. I am assuming it is very humid there now, it will also end with the humidity.

The water is around 78 degrees. The Air is 73 or so w/ 61% humidity in the room. It is REALLY fogged over :( If I take the top off it will clear up but within minutes of putting it back on it will fog.

ive a setup similar to what it sounds to me what your looking to do. i went down to home depot and bought and got them to cut me a piece of fiberglass to the measurements that i wanted and then got some silicone glue to glue it about 1/4 of the way down from the top. then glues rocks accending from the front to the back (so their was an incline in the deck) creating a ledge to keep the rocks from falling off. ive also got a biowheel filter which is working great and makes a cool waterfall.
ive got some moneywort planted at the bottom right near the second floor and the crabs climb right up like a jack and a beanstock sort of thing. so far its worked out great and the crabs seem to love it as much as i love watching them. if you got a biofilter it wouldnt be hard at all to create the water fall flowing over the land. just get a jigsaw and cut a hole though the shelf so the intake goes though it. lol i hope this made sense and helped you out alittle :D

Back
Top Bottom