Setting up tank for Figure 8 Puff!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catalina

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am in the process of setting up a brackish tank for a figure eight puffer. (As soon as it's finished cycling, he's going in!) I have read that snails are a very important part of their diet. I was wondering if there are any snails that can survive and reproduce in brackish water for the puffer to eat? Or am I just going to have to raise snails in my freshwater tank and move them over for feeding time? I would rather not do this since the idea of touching snails sort of grosses me out, but I will do it if need be. I probably already have snails in my freshwater tank since I recently added live plants, but I haven't seen any yet. The brackish is not going to have live plants because figure eights attack them.

I found one that should do well in brackish conditions- malaysian trumpet snails. Does anyone know if figure eight puffers will eat live amano shrimp? And now I need to find a good hygrometer...

I found one that should do well in brackish conditions- malaysian trumpet snails. Does anyone know if figure eight puffers will eat live amano shrimp? And now I need to find a good hygrometer...

I wouldn't recommend putting the snails you plan on feeding to your f-8 in the tank with him. He'll just eat them all on you, feed him one or two at a time and breed them in another tank. Also DON'T feed him Malaysian trumpet snails, they're shells are too hard for puffers and have been known to break their teeth. Ramshorn and the common snail that hitches a ride into your tank on plants are excellent for them. You could also try raising ghost shrimp, as it adds that extra edge for the puffer. Watching a F-8 or GSP hunt for shrimp 24/7 can be very amusing. It also makes for a more natural environment. Finally make sure that you're using MARINE salt for your brackish tank and not common aqaurium salt as it has no effect.

Thanks for the reply. Yea, actually I stumbled upon something discussing the hardness or malaysian snail shells. It said to get the ones with rounder shells, as opposed to conical, but I guess I should just play it safe and take your word for it. I suppose I will just pick them out of my freshwater tank. But I can raise ghost shrimp in the tank with him right? Do they do okay in brackish?

one more thing, have you had a figure 8? because i want some more advice from someone who has, and i haven't been able to find anyone.

Back
Top Bottom