Severely Stunted Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
So about a year ago a friend of mine gave me some Yellow Lab fry that she couldn't get to grow up hoping I would have some more luck with them. Well, I didn't. She had them for about 2 - 3 months before passing them along to me.

I have 3 of them out of the 4 that were originally given to me. One of them died due to unknown causes but the other 3 look perfectly healthy. If I didn't know what species they were I would say they were perfectly normal fish.

It's a bad picture, but this little guy is just a tad over 1/2 an inch long which, with him being a yellow lab he should be a monster by now.

11UwEwn.jpg

What do you guys think would cause something like this? I'm not expecting it to be remedied, but I really am just curious about it.

Poor feeding not enough feedings too small of a tank. But then I have africans in my 30g and had em for only a few months and they are like 3 inches long now.. The jack dempsy is over 4 inches.. and all we feed them are tetra min flakes believe it or not lol..

Poor feeding not enough feedings too small of a tank. But then I have africans in my 30g and had em for only a few months and they are like 3 inches long now.. The jack dempsy is over 4 inches.. and all we feed them are tetra min flakes believe it or not lol..
Sorry, should have given more background info. They started off in a 10g and when i got them they went straight into a 40b.

As for feedings, i can't say what she fed them but i tend to overfeed my fish a variety of flakes.

well the 10g is probably what stunted them.. In 3-4 months my africans grew to the size they are.. Im sure my 30g isnt helping them, but i dont plan to move them from this tank..

A half inch fish isn't gonna become that stunted in a 10g tank. Growth stunting is caused by other things as well, such as high nitrates. As for what caused yours to stay so small, I don't know. I think it's cool though. Esp if they seem healthy. Micro mbuna!

Jesse

A half inch fish isn't gonna become that stunted in a 10g tank. Growth stunting is caused by other things as well, such as high nitrates. As for what caused yours to stay so small, I don't know. I think it's cool though. Esp if they seem healthy. Micro mbuna!

Jesse

It's the new scientific breakthrough! Micro mbuna! We will soon see mini African tanks :D

If they are healthy that's really cool.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom