Sewage smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubblensqueak

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Inherited a tank (20g) ?not been cleaned for a while. Developed slime, which responded to fungus treatment, then cloudy water, then fish dying, then OK for a bit with water changes. Today - really foul smell - like sewage and remaining fish dead or dying. Long thread- like things -look like fish poo!

I decided to cut my losses and clear out the tank completely. (Veyr, very bad smell from water and gravel.

Have thrown out gravel filter sponges and ornaments, and rised tank out a few times with hot water. Washed pump head well.

Smells a lot better, but still not wonderful.

Have bought new sponges, gravel and rocks.

Was planning to leave for a day or two, then fill with water again and start to cycle tank, then put in a few plants, then a couple of fancy goldfish.

I think the smells and dead fish were due to past neglect, or my overvigourous siphoning releasing crap from the gravel?

Will the tank be OK to run as described above, or does it need treated with bleach or something?

Are fancy goldfish a good choice? Have been told a collection of barbs would be easier to look after?

Do i need to buy water testing kit?

If i have goldfish - how many, and would they like a heater turned down low, or no heater at all?

Any advice appreciated

D

Are fancy goldfish a good choice? Have been told a collection of barbs would be easier to look after?
True. Goldfish produce a lot of waste and can yuck the water pretty quickly.

Do i need to buy water testing kit?
ABSOLUTELY!!! Take care of the water and the water will take care of the fish.

If i have goldfish - how many, and would they like a heater turned down low, or no heater at all?
1 inch of fish per gallon is the rule, but I don't like to obey that with goldfish. I'd only put about 10 inches of fish if they are goldfish. As for the heater...it depends on your climate there. Most goldfish prefer a little cooler water. In my area, the climate forces me to use a chiller in my goldfish tank. The water gets too hot just from the room air. In fact it's warm enough I don't even run a heater in my tropical tank most of the year and it stays plenty warm.

You can clean with a diluted bleach solution, rinse exceptionally well and be sure to add dechlorinator. Also, a pure vinegar solution will help, once again, rinse very well.

Back
Top Bottom