Sexing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NexVobis

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can anyone help me sex this Bolivian Ram? I'll try to get a more clear picture of both

Attachments

• image-2768737073.jpg
    image-2768737073.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 121
For starters its a blue ram not a bolivian ram and from the pic I can see it looks like a male, females will typically have shorter finnage and a pink color in the belly.

ilostnemo said:
Where did you buy it from? Local store or chain? also did the rest of them look this way?

Local pet store. Those first two were 8.99 ingot two today for 5.99.

ilostnemo said:
But they all looked the same as the one you posted? if they did they are german blue rams for sure.

Yes they did. Added 2 gbr and my discus are all skittish now. 4 gbr in a 75gal with 2 discus and 12 black neon tetras.

1 out of my 4 GBR has a red tummy!
I've read it's very noticeable when ready to breed, true?

Yes true. She will try to find a place for her to put the eggs mine dug holes in the sand in two corners and near a Lilly but settled on the driftwood. Too bad I didn't have the male at the time though. My lpf seems to only carry females. Once they''re paired they'll get aggressive. I had three females living happy together but once in added the male everyone's mad all the time

Denisse said:
Yes true. She will try to find a place for her to put the eggs mine dug holes in the sand in two corners and near a Lilly but settled on the driftwood. Too bad I didn't have the male at the time though. My lpf seems to only carry females. Once they''re paired they'll get aggressive. I had three females living happy together but once in added the male everyone's mad all the time

Oh nice. Ok question, so if she's ready does that mean my water parameters are good and I shouldn't worry about my water, just keep doing what I'm doing? I shouldn't be worried about my discus either since she's comfortable to start breeding I have perfect water conditions for both.

If she starts digging then yes. My aquarium was ideal without me knowing I had perfect temperature and I didn't even know. U you should be good as u have discus they like warmer water and that's what rams like when breeding. Also rams are special like discus they don't like ph swings or they're gone. When they pair off they will be close and try to find a corner as soon as they can. Usually the female that is most ready gets the male first. When I dropped my male in with my three females the biggest one won him she was the one that recently layed eggs so it was gonna take longer for her to lay again than the others but she was experienced and she was the biggest. A sign that they are gonna pair off when they look like they are fighting but the female won't back down. I think that's why she won too cause the other new are younger and they were scared of the male. Well anyways all this is just what happened to me. I'm not a gbr breeder but I did get my female to spawn without even trying :)

Also breeding pair do get aggressive with other gbr in your tank and might even kill them if they don't find a pair. I just keep and eye on them when they start to pair off

Ah ok got it. Thank you. Actually I seen 2 of my bgr sort of go at it, only they where facing opposite directions, they were face to tail.

oh well how i always tell is the pink stomach. most females have some sign of it and males have none. also the jewl on the spot thing if your not sure.

Ok I'm not sure because they were swimming in between the plants and under the driftwood but I just came from turning off the lights and well I think I saw very light reddish on two of my other gbr. Hopefully my eyes didn't deceive me and I have 3 females and one male! I'll keep a look out and keep posting as more develops of if reddish spot becomes more noticeable.

Indian almond leaves are renowned for encouraging GBR's to spawn. Seems the various compounds they leach into the water help and they also provide a site for the eggs to be laid on. Am waiting for some to arrive from eBay as we speak.

Back
Top Bottom