sexing a Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smomus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 2 Molly fish.
'Val' A black Molly that is obviously male

View attachment 86736

And 'Dal' a Dalmatian Molly that I cannot sex for sure. At first I thought Dal was male because of the lack of the fanned fin. But he is either preg or perhaps just getting fat (quick side note, my spell check changed 'fat' to 'gay' rofl!). Dal doesn't have a prominent gonopodium like Val so...help? Thanks!

View attachment 86738

View attachment 86739

I think it is a Male.

But his tummy is quite round :ermm:

I would need a video to see what gender it was.
I need to say how much of the dorsal fins goes up.

If it goes straight up then it is a male. But males dont always have these displayed.

Sorry I Cant Tell You One For Sure.
Aston

Looks like a male to me, but agree with Aston, a video would make it easier to see.

I have 2 Molly fish.
'Val' A black Molly that is obviously male

View attachment 86736

And 'Dal' a Dalmatian Molly that I cannot sex for sure. At first I thought Dal was male because of the lack of the fanned fin. But he is either preg or perhaps just getting fat (quick side note, my spell check changed 'fat' to 'gay' rofl!). Dal doesn't have a prominent gonopodium like Val so...help? Thanks!

View attachment 86738

View attachment 86739
It's a male, but dalmatian mollie's private parts are hard to see....... if you excuse the expression.

Haha thanks guys! I figured he was male too but he's getting big. He doesn't act uncomfortable tho so hopefully he's not bloating or anything.

rreekers said:
feed them some deshelled cooked peas and see if that changes anything (kind of a laxative for fish)

They had some 2 days ago and the Mollies eat a majority of them lol. i'm thinking he is just a little pig. Maybe I should cut back on feeding for a while..

rreekers said:
how often do you feed?

Not as much as they would like! Lol! Only once per day, usually at night and skip Sundays. Not much, not quite a flake or blood worm per fish. every now and then a pea (maybe once a week). I do give my pleco bits of an algea pellet every other day to and my other fish often eat some of that. My black skirts especially lol

I feed once a day, and frozen bloodworms once a week. I feed my fishies Xtreme aquatics which is krill flakes with spiraluna. Spiraluna is good for digestion. Also it does have color enhancers so it brings out your fishes color. It's like 7-10 bucks for a medium container

Mckitrick said:
That is definetally a male i breed mollies and that is a male

Thanks! One day I wanna breed Mollies to :)

phoenixkiller said:
Not much to it. Male and three females, good size tank, BABY MOLLIES!!

Yea :) just need to get another aquarium first. I am over stocked already and don't have room for 3 new fish right now

Yea :) just need to get another aquarium first. I am over stocked already and don't have room for 3 new fish right now
Are you planning on getting another one? What size tank will it be? A 20-30 gallon will be perfect. When my friend would need another fish tank, I looked on Craigslist :)

phoenixkiller said:
Are you planning on getting another one? What size tank will it be? A 20-30 gallon will be perfect. When my friend would need another fish tank, I looked on Craigslist :)

I've been watching classified very close. 2 Weeks ago when my grandpa passed I didn't look for a few days and missed out on a full 55g setup for $75. :( so sad! I would love a larger one then I have (30g) and have both. One day! Until then I have to stay out of the lfs haha!

I've been watching classified very close. 2 Weeks ago when my grandpa passed I didn't look for a few days and missed out on a full 55g setup for $75. :( so sad! I would love a larger one then I have (30g) and have both. One day! Until then I have to stay out of the lfs haha!
Never ask questions of LFS employees. They never say correct things. I always ask questions here first. Have you noticed that LFS people charge a lot for everything?

phoenixkiller said:
Never ask questions of LFS employees. They never say correct things. I always ask questions here first. Have you noticed that LFS people charge a lot for everything?

Ooh totally noticed! I knew enough that I should wait to add fish and was talking to one shortly after I got my tank about what I could add. Gave him the run down of what I have and he told me in a week it would be ok to add more fish, specifically 2 aquarium frogs. I am already 200% over stocked :( not to mention i'm thinking my fish are probably too aggressive for frogs, but have not researched it.
Oh and I guess I should mention, it's not really a lfs...it's Petsmart. The only option I have except Walmart that's within 100 miles or so.
I have been thinking that maybe I should get a smaller 5 gal and put my beta in there, in my kitchen. Get another 10 gal to put my various tetras in (add some more cuz I only have one little silver guy I think is a Buenos Aries tetra). Sell or trade my 2 shark and angelfish (maybe). And get a few more Mollies. Then I can breed them. My fist thing tho is to get rid of those shark. they were cool at first but they've gotten boring lol. And before you say anything about impulse buying, all the fish came with the tank. :p

Back
Top Bottom