Sexing Bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liggs17

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have received a betta "rescue" from someone who doesn't want theirs. I am trying to determine sex so that I might purchase a mate in the future. I have read that the females aren't as colorful as the males, but I have little experience with bettas and don't have any frame of reference to compare this one to. This betta does flare out the gill covers, so I am thinking it is a male, but don't know if females have the same tendency. Any advice would be appreciated.

Liggs

The few I have seen are drab and brownish and their fins aren't as long and flowy/showy as the males.

All my females have been just as colorful as the males and they even flare. The only difference is their fins are shorter than males. If you betta is a male, then you cannot get a mate for him unless you have a separate tank for the female. You only put bettas together when they are going to breed.

Thank you both for your responses. I don't plan to start attempting to breed for a while, but would like to get the opposite sex for the fish ASAP so I can start conditioning it (and get it out of those horrible teenie glasses into which stores put the bettas). Are there any websites you can recommend for info?

Also, the fins don't flow like I've seen on other bettas, but they are not too short, either. The same with the color: pretty, but not as pretty as others I have seen.

Liggs

The female's fins are usually less than a 1/2 inch, while male's are usually over an inch. I'm talking about the height of the fins and when they are actually fully open.
I haven't seen a female that's been as big as a male either though, not even including the fins just the body. :wink:

I have had a beautiful photo of this fish taken by the digital media arts teacher at the school where I work, but cannot figure out how to post the picture. Learning to post the photo will take away any ambiguity that comes from physical descriptions, and I will know how to do it in the future. Anyone game to play teacher for a bit?

Is the picture on the comp? If you just need somewhere to host the pic you can use photobucket.com.

Ashley-

Thanks for the link. I really like the fact that there are a male and female betta so the comparisons make more sense.

Liggs

Females have a oviposter under its belly a little white dot. Before u breed your bettas I would suggest 1-2 conditioning them with Live or frozen food such as Blood worms,Brine Shrimp, Grindal worms, fruitflies etc.For all your questions on bettas visit this forum its really helpful :) http://groups.msn.com/AdvancedBettas/general.msnw

Back
Top Bottom