sexing krib fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smcoyle87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So it's been about a month and 2 weeks since my Kribs had babies.
I was wondering when and how I can tell the sex of the fry?
They pretty much all look the same right about now, some are larger than other and a very few have developed the black line going down the length of their bodies. Other than that, they really do all look the same, I don't know how to distinguish male from female?

Can anyone help me out? Thanks

When I had my fry, the lfs that was going to take them from me wouldn't take them before 5 months of age, as they said that's when you could sex them with any accuracy.

Dang 5 months! haha I didn't think I would have to wait that long!
Thanks for the input though, I guess I just have to wait.

Well I don't find it hard to raise the Kribs, I just wanted to sell them to my lfs before the parents breed AGAIN. I do, however, have another tank I could house them in until they are old enough, I just didn't want to take them from their parents.

You breed still?

I don't. But if you want to prevent the kribs from overbreeding, keep the fry in the adult tank. If you remove the fry, the kribs will probably spawn again within 2 weeks. If you leave the fry, the kribs won't spawn again until the fry are 3 months old or so. That was my experience anyway.

Back
Top Bottom