Sexing Plecos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bunebop

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey,

I have two bushy-nosed plecos (my 3rd died today (prolly from injuries when the LFS person dropped a big rock on him twice and cut him w/ sissors and had him in a tank with chiclids which were picking on him like no other) sry bout the rant) Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew how I could sex them?? I don't think I wanna breed em or anything, I'm just being curious. :) I'm considering getting a 3rd one if I can find one later once they're moved into my 50 gallon... but yeah, just bein' curious. thanks!

I believe at maturity the males will have a very bushy nose, and the females will have fewere "bristles" but I am not positive about this. I know I have three, and only one has the fabulous bushy nose - the other two are smaller and lack them.

BrianNY knows, I'm sure....

yep that's right, males have bristles females have stumps, they only really show after theyre about 4" i believe (y)

For other species of pleco, look for the length of the interopercular spines (spines protruding from just infront of the gills) and the Pectoral odontes (little teeth on the pectoral fins' spines). Larger spines and odontes signal males. Almost non-existant odontes and spines indicate females.

Back
Top Bottom