sharing the knowledge...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazycat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so i found out something cool--and forgive me if y'all knew this before--i'm just kind of psyched...

today i went to do a water change with my python, and the conector thingy between the gravel vac and the rest of the hose--y'know--the thing with the white lever on it that you can use to temporarily stop the flow--broke. horrors! i was bummed cuz i momentarily thought i wouldn't be able to do the water change. but then it occured to me...i don't NEED the gravel vac--after all, i barely use it cuz i have plants--i could just stick the hose in the tank. and waddaya know-- it worked! and not only did it work--it was MUCH faster!

psych!

and also--green spot algae--what a pain! i was using this little pad to clean it off (i have acrylic so i can't use a razor)--so annyoing. BUT i found a new wonder product! an algae mitt! it wiped away the green spot algae with HALF the effort of the pad i was using. and only for a few bucks!

psych! (again)

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=19199&category_id=2927&pcid1=3347

just thought i'd share...

Not sure why it worked faster...that's strange. Water flow really shouldn't change.

Ooooh! Algae mit! I'm going to have to try that. Be careful when sucking out water without the gravel vac. If you get the hose too close to the gravel, it will suck it right out. (I've done that) :oops:

Taking the python off the end of the hose can give better flow because there is no more restriction from going through the one way valve on top of the vac. Because of my planted tank, I took my vac off the end of the python, and converted the vac into a CO2 reactor. I put a basket (like on my filter inlet) on the end of the hose to keep any curious fish from getting in there.

Back
Top Bottom