shark bully!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishy_friend

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey I have a orange-tailed shark who is a real trouble maker. when we got him he was slim and relatively small but now he is about the size of a thumb from knuckle to nail and as wide. when I had just him, some guppies, neon tetras and some platies, he chased the neons. we recently bought two flying foxes and one (the timid one) stays out of his way and they co-exist fine but the other, more outgoing one, is constantly being chased all over the tank. fortunately ,Bubble, is too fast for him but he chases Bubble at least 5 times a day and I am worried that he might eventually catch him. he gets along well with all the other fish and has stopped chasing the neon tetras so much now. is there any way I can get him to stop hounding my poor flying fox.

hey I have a orange-tailed shark who is a real trouble maker. when we got him he was slim and relatively small but now he is about the size of a thumb from knuckle to nail and as wide. when I had just him, some guppies, neon tetras and some platies, he chased the neons. we recently bought two flying foxes and one (the timid one) stays out of his way and they co-exist fine but the other, more outgoing one, is constantly being chased all over the tank. fortunately ,Bubble, is too fast for him but he chases Bubble at least 5 times a day and I am worried that he might eventually catch him. he gets along well with all the other fish and has stopped chasing the neon tetras so much now. is there any way I can get him to stop hounding my poor flying fox.

Unfortunately "orange-tail sharks" (I am assuming it's a red tail shark) get more aggressive and territorial the older and bigger they get! There isn't really anything you can do to get him to stop chasing him! How big is your tank??

its a 95 litre tank and I have lots of plants and objects to hide behind and under, the flying fox just doesn't use them he is always swimming in a circle at the front of the tank.

Siamese algae eaters have a similar body shape to the shark so this could be the cause for the chasing. I'd remove the shark or sae pair

That's a pretty small tank for a red tailed shark and 2 flying foxes- they pretty much can't help but get in each others faces. Flying foxes are very active, fast swimmers, and get aggressive with age also, but I don't think they'll be any match for the Shark as he matures.

Back
Top Bottom