she shells

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Sea shells...
Can you put them in a freshwater tank? I know the drill with boiling rocks and the vinegar test before you put them in, but can you do the same thing with shells picked from a beach?
I have absolutely no idea...

Most shells are made from calcium carbonate, same compound as limestone. If you do the vinegar test it should fizz. The shells will eventually dissolve, increasing your pH and your gh, (usually) not desirable.

what evercl92 said. they will slowly dissolve and change the water chemistry. this may not be so bad if u have softer water and want cichlids. other than that i wouldnt try it.

Wow,the fizzing sure isn't very noticable. Makes me want to re-test all my rocks since this is the first time I've ever actually seen something fizz in this test.

That's one reason that I don't tell people to use vinegar. I advise using a stronger acid, such as muratic or phosphoric acid. Check the ingredients on your toilet bowl cleaner, and look for one of these, or another 'acid'. Vinegar is a very weak acid. Also, most rocks that are exposed to weathering have a thin layer of sediment on the outside, thus it's recommended that the rock's surface be cracked or scratched. This gives a fresh surface to acid test.

Do you know the gh of your water? A friend of mine was unaware of the issues limestone could cause, and ended up with a hardness of 26 before he removed it all. If you're concerned, you should definately test all your rocks.

Back when i first set up my tank, over 2 years ago. I put sea shells in my tank. It never made an effect on my over populated tank of guppies.... then i found out it is very bad to put sea shells in. that is my pointless story about shells of the sea. sorry if you hate me.

feeder_guppy said:
in. that is my pointless story about shells of the sea. sorry if you hate me.

what? that last bit was kinda funny though.

come on, everyone loves a feeder guppy

I have tested all my rocks and never noticed any fizzing. Its just that I didn't realise that it was so minor until I put a shell through the test expecting to see it fizz.

I enjoy all stories about sea shells of the sea. I'm just sorry I won't be having any in my new tank since they're so purdy.

Back
Top Bottom