Shell dwellers? Second question about Rams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psylk87

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay first question.
Can anyone tell me about shelldwellers? What size tanks they do best in. What they need care wise. I know nothing about them but find them really interesting.

Second question.
What would be good tank mates for a pair of Blue German Rams? Tank would be 29 gallon. Live plants but not too dense. Driftwood etc. I am looking for recs on type and stocking numbers. Want it to be a nice active community tank.

I don't know anything about shell dwellers, but as for the blue rams I would look for fish that stay towards the middle to the top. I have found a single blue ram in a community tank is quite peaceful, but a pair can be mean while breeding.

Okay first question.
Can anyone tell me about shelldwellers? What size tanks they do best in. What they need care wise. I know nothing about them but find them really interesting.

Second question.
What would be good tank mates for a pair of Blue German Rams? Tank would be 29 gallon. Live plants but not too dense. Driftwood etc. I am looking for recs on type and stocking numbers. Want it to be a nice active community tank.

Shellies need high ph and shells to hide in. A 20 gallon long would be good for a group. They wont use vertical tank space so floorspace is much more important. They are very cool! I have considered having some but I dont do waterchanges enough lol

German blues are pretty peaceful and will do well with most community fish.

Shellies are awesome but they are cichlids and prefer to have rocks in their tank. They are also a special kind of cichlid that are extremely peaceful and don't do well with any kind of cichlid expect for other tanganesian (spelled wrong) cichlids which are tough to find. Rams would be perfectly suitable tank mates tho especially the gbr or electric blues

Okay first question.

They're great, fun, and very interesting fish. They generally do best in a species only tank. The size of the tank really depends on which species of shell dweller you keep. Some get surprisingly large. They need high gh/kh and shells as already stated.

This is a good quick reference... http://www.shelldwellers.com/shelldwellerbasics.php

Second question.

Smaller tetra (8-10) and a school of cories (6-8) would look and work great. Stock gradually.

Back
Top Bottom