Shipping fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greeny

Aquarium Advice Regular
Received a shipment of fish today. It didn't go well. 2 DOA betta females. The package was COLD when it arrived. Even though it contained a 40 hour heat pack. The heat pack was warm when it was sent yesterday and warmed up again after I opened the box, but was cold when I opened it. It didn't freeze here last night and was 45F at noon today.

Anyone know about different carriers and if there is a difference in success? USPS, UPS, FedEx, Purolator, Canada Post? (I'm in Canada)

I won't name the carrier in question, but it started with a P.

Thanks,
Greeny

I've only purchased livestock a few times, and only from 'non-commercial' sellers (a.k.a. friendly folks here on AA who also raise and sell fish).

They've all used Priority flat-rate from USPS, and it gets here in 2-3 days and I haven't had any DOA.

Granted, this is a US shipper shipping to a US recipient, so I can't speak for any international shipping.

Ahhh, I'm not sure then. Was the heat pack a gel type or an activated charcoal type? If it was activated charcoal, then it was probably packed too tight and didn't get enough air to stay active, which is probably why it warmed back up when you unpacked it.

Wow, 2-3 days and the fish arrive healthy? Why don't these big online fish stores do the same? I mean sometimes I want to purchase that one fish I can't find at any of the LFS, but the $30 shipping fee for overnight delivery prevents me from doing so. I always wondered if fish can handle 2-3 days of shipment.

I've only purchased livestock a few times, and only from 'non-commercial' sellers (a.k.a. friendly folks here on AA who also raise and sell fish).

They've all used Priority flat-rate from USPS, and it gets here in 2-3 days and I haven't had any DOA.

Granted, this is a US shipper shipping to a US recipient, so I can't speak for any international shipping.

They can but not always healthy. after 2-3 days they lack of oxygen and the ammonia in the bag could make for some seriously stresed fishies. I got some discus once from an inexpensive place...they sent them us mail...took 2 days to get them and they were half dead...two of 6 were DOA and one more died later that day...the three that survived had severe ammonia burns and had to have twice daily water changes to bring them back to health.

Since that time I have learned that twice daily (or more) water changes can cure almost any illness so it's always what I try first.

Unfortuneately most fish can't survive a two year old dumping an entire container of food in the tank...they are now in fishy heaven. :(

Back
Top Bottom