Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Should be good for fishies?

Have had the filter media for my new 10g build in the filter of my community tank for about a week now. If I rob some of the media from that (one of my filter pad thingys is about to give up the ghost anyways) will I "get away" with adding some teeny tiny fish next week?

Old 07-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

you could possibly "get away" with the tiny fish but I would keep check on the water quality and do PWCs if anything gets out of hand. I'm pretty much doing the same thing-ish, I took the media from one of my filters in my turtle tank and have it in my 7.8gal tank which is cycling currently and is on the way down after 5 days

Old 07-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #3

Silent cycle you mean? Probably, but just let that media get nice and happy first. I'm talking a month or so.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

If I'm honest I'm a bit scared of it lol. My other tank is a 260 litre/68 usg so any changes in there happen in a much more user friendly fashion and it was inherited so I didn't have to do any of the cycling Also to add to my distress it's my first proper planted effort as well (never let it be said I do anything by halves) so I get the feeling that it's going to be 20 questions!
Old 07-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homedog98 View Post
Silent cycle you mean? Probably, but just let that media get nice and happy first. I'm talking a month or so.
Fair do's I can wait a month (I think lol) I'll just constantly re-aquascape in the meantime to while it away lol
Old 07-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickletas
If I'm honest I'm a bit scared of it lol. My other tank is a 260 litre/68 usg so any changes in there happen in a much more user friendly fashion and it was inherited so I didn't have to do any of the cycling Also to add to my distress it's my first proper planted effort as well (never let it be said I do anything by halves) so I get the feeling that it's going to be 20 questions!
Lol, tell me about it. Keep a close eye on the params and stock VERY SLOWLY, and you should be alright. When I say very slowly I'm talking 2 fish at a time, every 2 weeks lol. Gotta let that biofilter catch up.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickletas

Fair do's I can wait a month (I think lol) I'll just constantly re-aquascape in the meantime to while it away lol
Thats the spirit! Better safe then sorry!
Old 07-06-2011, 09:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

And also I can use that time to once again consider/reconsider Galaxy Rasbora vs Chilli Rasbora Or even Phoenix Rasbora!
Old 07-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

So you have a filter pad for your 10 gallon filter that has been in your community tank for a week? If this is the case, I'd pop the media into the 10 gallon filter and start with a small fish load (a few small fish). Monitor and build gradually from there. I have literally done this for over 70 different tanks.

IME the beneficial bacteria that comprise the tank's biological filter and much more resilient than what they get credit for. A filter cartridge should bring over plenty of them and they'll quickly reproduce.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:22 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you guys for the advice. The old fart has sprung it on me that we are going away this weekend so I won't be buying anything until at least Monday now as I don't want to be away if the aquatic equivalent to armageddon occurs
Old 07-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well that's no big deal then. I'd just do the swap on Monday when you return. You can dose the new tank with ammonia if you want, or chuck a raw shrimp in there, or start with a small fish load. Any of those methods will feed your bacteria but IMO it's important to start one of those methods at the time that you move over the cartridge.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:51 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Soooooo today is fish day!!!! Went to the lfs this morning and got me 6 celestial pearl danio and 6 (should have been 5 so I win!) amano shrimp. They've just finished acclimating ( drip method) and are in the tank. Lights are off but will post pics once they're back on
Old 07-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well it's been a while coming but here is a pic of the tank after my final (I hope) attempt at the scape. There are 6 Amano and 6 galaxy rasbora and 6 ember tetras in there now. I don't think you can see them on the pic, will try and upload a video in a bit.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com