Should/can I add anything else to my tank? Any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elephantnose

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 44 gallon pentagon.
Currently in the tank are:
6 hatchetfish
3 angel fish
3 Bolivian ram cichlids
3 Cory cats
Is there any other fish that would do well in my tank? Or should I get more of a certain fish I already have?

i would actually say that you're a bit overstocked. Angels need quite a bit of space and would probably compete for space with the hatchetfish. bolivian rams are a bit territorial and would probably be annoyed by the cory cats. so, no, don't add anything. I'd actually downsize a bit. this is totally personal preference, but i'd re-home the hatchetfish and maybe the cory cats and keep the angels and rams.

Angel fish only get to 6in. Rams only 3in. There would be barely any thing on the bottom of my tank nor top. If I downsized. Right now my fish are all babies. The tanks only been running for two months.

They may be small right now, but you have to consider what it will be like when all your fish are adult size. Angels can get larger than 6 inches and can be quite territorial. I have one (she's 6 years old) in my 36g and can't image fitting another.
I don't think you're horribly overstocked, but if it were me, the only thing I would add is a couple more corys because they like groups of at least 5-6.

Well next time you go maybe they will have more :)
About your angels- because you got them all together when they are young, the chances of there being aggression issues is smaller. But one thing I might suggest is getting some more plants. Big ones that go all the way from the bottom to the top, in order to create territory boundaries and break up their line of sight. Also, if you have mixed genders you may find that as they get older two may pair up and one may be left as the third wheel and might get picked on. If this happens you may want to try to rehome the outsider.

Khuligirl93 I was going to add more plants. I just I don't go to the pet store that often.

Back
Top Bottom