Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2005, 05:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Brandontheman
should i ...........

I was asking people some questions about setting up my new tank and i told them what type of supplies i was dealing with (heaters,filters) and they told me about some stuff that i should get becuase they work very well, like the penquin filter with a bio wheel and a marineland heater, i told them that i wasnt trying to spend much money becuase i already had the supplies i needed to set up a new tank and thats why i was setting it up in the first place.

But then i went shopping the other day and saw both of those things and they were both only about 19 bucks each which is pretty cheap......my tank seems to be running fine but should i get them anyway ? i can afford them both.

I didnt know that fish stuff was so cheap.......im used to reptiles and thier supplies.

Right now im using a tetra heater that i heard were very bad but it has been working for me for a long time with no problems........i heard they can disinegrate inside the tank ???

Old 02-04-2005, 06:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Drake
The bio-filter is a good deal, but how many watts is the heater? If its less than 150 watts I wouldn't buy it. And is it a fully submersible heater? Because if its not I think they are cheap and not the safest heaters to use. I have also never heard of a tetra heater disintegrating in the water before. I also have many reptiles including a ball python like the one you have.

10 gallon-brackish, figure-eight puffer, knight goby
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 07:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Without Knwoing what size tank you have i couldnt reccomedn a filter but the Penguin And Emproer Lines of Filters With Bio wheels are exceeltn filters. I Think That a 150watt Via-Aqua Stainless steel heater is the best one they are unbrakble the thermostat is on the plug they are fully submeisble and pretty cheap.

JMHO
Old 02-04-2005, 08:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
Quote:
best one they are unbreakable
Unbreakable, unsinkable, same thing (watch for icebergs )

Penguins are nice, (and often are found near icebergs BTW) but they do splash a bit, otherwise do a great job. (and the smallest biowheel is rated for 20Gal @ 100GPH)
Old 02-04-2005, 08:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They are fully submerisble and sink just fine. Yeah my penguins splash just a tad but not really enough to notice-Emproers dont att all.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard~Of~Ozz
Penguins are nice, (and often are found near icebergs BTW) but they do splash a bit, otherwise do a great job. (and the smallest biowheel is rated for 20Gal @ 100GPH)
I have the 100gph mini on my ten gallon and I'm happy with it. I like the splashing, puts me to sleep.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Brandontheman
Quote:
I also have many reptiles including a ball python like the one you have.
Cool, actually i have three, only added Rebel to my gallery though My smaller BP is in my avatar,thats Roxy.

I have a ten gallon tank.

And yes, the heater is fully submersible.

I have a 30 gallon filter in my 10 gallon right now.I have a ten gallon filter but i figured the 30 gallon filter would be better as far as space and suction.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com