Should I add some Aquarium Salt to my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amskater

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon tank with white sand with 2 small sucker fish, 2 small bala sharks, 2 pictus catfish, and I plan on getting 2 silver tip sharks. the fish store said Aquarium Salt could be good for the tank as long as I put just enough but I am not sure so I am asking for some advice

Welcome to AA :) :)

Is your tank already cycled? If not, you may want to read up on the nitrogen cycle.

If by sucker fish you mean plecos then I would say salt would be a bad idea. Plecos are scaleless fish and could get burned by the salt. The use of Aquarium Salt is a much debated topic. Personally I don't use salt in any of my tanks but their are a number of people who swear by it.

My belief is that if you have a healthy cycled tank salt is not really needed. Salt is useful for treating Ich and some other diseases but does not have to be in the tank all of the time. If you do decide you want to use salt please research the fish you plan to have in the tank to make sure they can handle salt.

yeah I am pretty sure it is cycled and is really clean I am also using a a 50 gallon filter instead of a 30 gallon is that alright to do that and thanks for the advice

Do you have a test kit? If not you should probably get one, the liquid reagent kits are the best. The strips can be a little inaccurate after they are opened. If your Ammonia readings are zero, your Nitrites are zero, and your Nitrates are climbing then you are cycled.

Also forgot to mention, your Bala Sharks will get too big for that tank. At full size they can reach 12 inches and will need a lot more room. Not sure about the silver tip sharks.

amskater said:
I am also using a a 50 gallon filter instead of a 30 gallon is that alright to do that

That should be fine. Better too much than not enough

EmptyH said:
amskater said:
I am also using a a 50 gallon filter instead of a 30 gallon is that alright to do that

That should be fine. Better too much than not enough
yeah the other filter I had didnt get the job done and my aunt gave me her 50 gallon tank with filter and the 50 gallon tank hood was in bad shape and I dont have the room yet for the tank so I set up my 29 gallon tank for now. I had the water tested more than once on different days before I got any fish the water passed evertime

If you had it tested before you added fish what did you use to cycle the tank? If you did not have fish, or some other source of Ammonia, then your tank is probably not cycled. Just running an empty tank with the filter running will not cycle your tank.

Fish waste produces Ammonia, which is toxic to fish. Ammonia levels will continue to rise for a couple of days to a couple of weeks, it varies. After Ammonia has been present for a while bacteria develops that changes the Ammonia to Nitrite, which is also toxic to fish. The Ammonia levels will fall and the Nitrite levels rise. Eventually another form of bacteria will form that will transform the Nitrite to Nitrate, which is a much less toxic substance. Once you have gone through all of these steps and see Ammonia and Nitrite levels of zero and rising Nitrates the tank is cycled.

How long have you had the fish in the tank? You should have your water tested again to see if you have Ammonia. If you do have Ammonia and/or Nitrites you will have to perform frequent water changes to keep these levels below toxic.

If you have the lfs do another water test ask them for the actual numbers, not just if it passes or fails. When you get the numbers post them here.

As EmptyH, has said, salt is not needed, in a freswater tank. It has it's place, but regular use is not needed. Others will disagree.

I will get it tested agian today and how often should I feed them the balas have been in the tank like a week and the other fish for 2 days

I feed my fish twice a day. Just make sure to give them no more than they can eat in a couple of minutes. Fish are always hungry and will eat far more than they should if given the opportunity.

so it would be good to feed them when I wake up and when I goto bed

thanks for all the good advice and if anyone has anything to share it would be great too

EmptyH said:
If you had it tested before you added fish what did you use to cycle the tank? If you did not have fish, or some other source of Ammonia, then your tank is probably not cycled. Just running an empty tank with the filter running will not cycle your tank.

Fish waste produces Ammonia, which is toxic to fish. Ammonia levels will continue to rise for a couple of days to a couple of weeks, it varies. After Ammonia has been present for a while bacteria develops that changes the Ammonia to Nitrite, which is also toxic to fish. The Ammonia levels will fall and the Nitrite levels rise. Eventually another form of bacteria will form that will transform the Nitrite to Nitrate, which is a much less toxic substance. Once you have gone through all of these steps and see Ammonia and Nitrite levels of zero and rising Nitrates the tank is cycled.

How long have you had the fish in the tank? You should have your water tested again to see if you have Ammonia. If you do have Ammonia and/or Nitrites you will have to perform frequent water changes to keep these levels below toxic.

If you have the lfs do another water test ask them for the actual numbers, not just if it passes or fails. When you get the numbers post them here.

I just got my water tested
Nitrate 40
Nitrite 10
Water very hard 300
Total alkalinity 300 high
Ph freshwater 8.4 Alkaline
the lfs told me I need to do a 50 percent water change, told me to get a nitrite & nitrate remover(I got this stuff called Amquel Plus) and they told me to vacumm the gravel but I have sand I also bought a Python Aquarium Kit. does anyone have any advice to offer to me? thanks, Doug

Do you mean a Nitrite of 1? 10 seems really high! Did they test your Ammonia? I agree that a 50 percent water change is a good idea. You will most likely need to do a water change every other day for a while. If you can, getting a liquid test kit would be a good idea. That way you can keep an eye on the levels without always going to the lfs.

EmptyH said:
Do you mean a Nitrite of 1? 10 seems really high! Did they test your Ammonia? I agree that a 50 percent water change is a good idea. You will most likely need to do a water change every other day for a while. If you can, getting a liquid test kit would be a good idea. That way you can keep an eye on the levels without always going to the lfs.
My gf works at a pet store I have to take her back and fourth to work for the next couple days so I have to go there anyways so why not test it there. with the Python I bought should I beable to clean out tank good even though I have sand?

The python is the best invention in aquaria. It will work perfectly fine with your substrate.

I am concerned about your water results. From the results that you gave, it sounds like they used the test strips. They are not reliable once they have been opened for a while. I doubt that the values are what was posted. Get a liquid reagent test kit for accurate readings.

Since you do not have an ammonia reading, you will need to get an ammonia test kit. Since your tank is only a week old, it probably has high Ammonia levels. This is also why I doubt that your Nitrates are 40 and Nitrites are 1. You need to purchase a kit such as the Aquarium Pharm. Freshwater Master Test Kit. Tests for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate are vital during the cycling phase.

Silver tip sharks are not really FW fish. They can only live in FW as juveniles and need full SW as adults. Plus, they get HUGE.

RoK said:
Silver tip sharks are not really FW fish. They can only live in FW as juveniles and need full SW as adults. Plus, they get HUGE.
it says they are freshwater fish and says they just need a lil aquarium salt in the tank to help them not get sick

Back
Top Bottom